Crash Roll Vent Repair

Sorry David,

will be skiing on Sunday and on a very tight schedule next week. Next time I get to the garage I’ll check what I’ve left for SIII cars - I think there’s still a quite presentable piece and I’ll send you some pics.

We’ll find a way to meet, I’m sure

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

That’s fine, I’ll be down there more often soon. Did you just imply you had more parts?
Another time then, the crash roll can wait anyways. Thank you -

David

No, I just compiled a kind of collection of crash rolls - when I bought my car the crash roll had an ugly split right where the driver tends to look at. So the PO had taken care and bought another good one that unfortunately turned out to be a SIII part, but he gave it to me with the car. Then I came, found out about the difference, bought a SII part that, alas, turned out to be another SIII part. Then I got a SII part with ugly delamination that I re-glued with a less than perfect result. The next SII part I found now is in the car and the SII part with the split in the shelf. One of the SIII parts was sold - so I should have one decent SIII and two poor SII crash rolls left. That was what I referred to and it kind of mirrors the oddities of this hobby …

Have a nice Sunday

Jochen

1 Like

I decided to risk it all and let a friend drive me down to Constance last week. He was happy with how it runs and so was I (after a few beers). Are you in the area on Sunday, today? Too late, next time then. We‘re planning on leaving late so we could drop by any time, if you still have the crash roll and it is not too much to ask on such short notice. :slightly_smiling_face:
I should have remembered this earlier!
Let me know.
David

Sorry David! I only now went online and received your message too late - this morning I went biking (no engine!) and the rest of the day was family and house maintenance …

Let me know a tiny bit earlier next time you can make it to the lake!

Best

Jochen

No worries, I was the late one.
I‘ll write a note for next time I‘m around, now off to Gardasee so I‘ll let you know in a month, or so!

Thank you, until the next time. Enjoy the summer.
David

Too bad … enjoy il Lago - are you surfing or hiking? And maybe you bring a nice Lancia Fulvia from Brescia or the surroundings. They still pop up every now or then …

Enjoy summer! I’m already back to work

Jochen

Surfing! And camping. Very unexpected invitation but I do enjoy it really much.
I‘ll watch out for Lancias but haven’t seen any yet. Thanks for the hint!!

Best video I’ve seen, so far: my Rover dash pad is badly cracked, and there are no replacements available.

2 Likes

I had a 1974 Fiat 124 Coupe that had a very damaged dash pad.
Filled the cracks with car mastic and then covered the whole dash pad with a layer of fiberglass.
Sanded it smooth and covered it with faux leather upholstery…
Very messy to do but a very decent result. Actually it looked better than the original.

Aristides

1 Like

Not needed here: but, I offer the following:

1. In SOCAL, a company exists or did exist, not sure now.
    Justdashes. Recreated molded 'crash pads". Did one for my son’s 64 Chrysler “K” car. Two efforts to get it right.

2. Were I in need, I’d consider my local auto “trim” shop. Recreate in vinyl over carved high density foam.

3. a past lister did something like that to the saggy visors. Very sharp result, better than OEM in my view!!!

4. Way back when I tried a “kit” to repair one. Included a simple mold to recreate the grain. Not a good result. But, crack gone. I read that skilled guys that Prepared used cars could o it perfectly… Eastwood??

Billy was “bleating”. Wanted his treat. he got it! Coco has eaten, but is barking at the “disturbance”. I don’t think he has Billy figured out!!

Carl

Have fun! The place is great as long as it’s not raining on your tent!

Maybe you take a look at this one https://www.autoscout24.it/annunci/lancia-fulvia-benzina-blu-azzurro-cfe73d8f-4207-f956-e053-e250040a3650?cldtidx=12 - if I were there I sure would!

Best

Jochen

I do: not raining yet! I expect it to, but we’re reasonably prepared. I’ve never been here and it’s been ages since I’ve seen a campsite…
A friend teaches wind surfing just around the corner and we’re camping in a VW Bus (just a T6, nothing special). So I’m pretty much tethered to the campsite but for biking (no engine). The Lancia offer is loading as I type; my phone that had good internet is out due to, um, water damage. It’ll dry out fine I hope.
If it should work again and I find another Lancia I’ll make sure to snap a few photos.
I wouldn’t repair cracks in my dashboard unless I find no useable replacement - and even then it is pain and hard work only so that it’s no longer original.

Nice one! Especially with that mileage, and it is pretty. Bet I’d enjoy that, too, even though I want to reduce my Fuhrpark down to one good car. Having a look can’t hurt, now can it :slightly_smiling_face: Brescia won’t be accessible though. No means of transportation unless I find a Fiat Panda for very cheap.
I’ll have an eye out for Lancias.

David

No rain and just one Lancia Montecarlo. Looked good; didn’t sound like a 1.8l at all!
And the campsite neighbours had JDM cars; Nissan 300SX and Toyota Z30 so I got my money’s worth. I counted 19 Fiat Pandas… things you see when the phone doesn’t work.
And the age we live in: The Bus ran 180kph with 160hp! Not too uncomfortable either. I’m jealous. Now time to plan for UK. I want to fix the headliner and all the small bits so I can round it all of with the crash roll when, if, should we make it back. And replace the upper ball joint; the replacement has been in the boot for two years now.

OT: Isn’t it just nice to have the smartphone off for just a few hours? - I’m loving it

Enjoy your time

Jochen

1 Like

Just top-lining this again, in hopes there is someone with more comprehensive info on how to repair my cracked dash top: otherwise, I’ll make up a process!

Unless you find an elastic putty the problem is that the pad is soft and the normal putty is hard.
This is why I chose to put a coat of fiberglass on top and dress it with vinyl faux leather.
The shape of the pad was fairly simple though, with not many indents.
The result was really good and ten years later was still in top shape.
Unfortunately the rest of the car was not…

1 Like

Paul,

as there is a layer of foam underneath the cracked vinyl there is really no chance to mend the torn vinyl as you might do on a door card etc. The Polyvance thing doesn’t really look like an option as you need spray equipment and umpteen products to obtain a look fair for a rice racer, but far from original vinyl.

A clean, but not so easy job is to recover the entire crash roll in vinyl or even leather, especially as you need an additional layer of foam underneath.

I’d always go for a replacement part, actually did so once successfully, but in the course purchased two wrong ones :frowning: … which all in all wasn’t that bad as David was able to make good use of one of them - just take care as SII is different from SIII!

Good luck

Jochen

I think I’ve come up with a solution, and I will keep you guys posted on my progress.