Curious George--straight port head

Nope, 4 sp mod o/d that car has just been cut up as the rust was totally terminal, the gearbox is going behind a 3.4 but this is retaining the 3.54 diff from the DG box.
The 3.07 diff has gone down to Rotorua and is going behind a 4.2 thats having twin turbos bolted on!

we managed 100mph
for one hour and I estimate we used almost 10 gallons of fuel.
That would be <>10mpg I managed 8mpg from a Nissan turbo 1500cc on bay park raceway when it was still operating :smiling_imp:

So how did that handle the high ratio? As I said my 3.4 would run out of puff at anything over 90mph in o\d. You could run it up to 115 or so in top, switch into o\d and watch it slow down.

Hi Kevin it seems as though there is a lot of interest in this subject and slight confusion

> Blockquote

As I said before the car is an auto and the attached sheet was in the car when I went around Le Mans
A normal aspirated 3.4 without a straight port head, 2-inch carbs, and free flow air filter would not have the same power top end, and as you can see the overall ratio was 3.07, not 2.36
As a footnote I attach a photo of the late great Norman Dewis telling me how he survived testing an XJ13
Brian

1 Like

This was 20+ years ago the car was on the road, went ok but never pushed it over about 80MPH

Thanks Guys.
That question was for Robin.
As for Norman, he lived several lifetimes in one, didn’t he? I assume the sheet with roadspeeds is from an E Type Service Manual.