Current best approach for distributor?

Kirby,
I think you’re partially right. Now that I think of it, they were solid mild steel pins that had been held in place by some kind of punch over the hole in the bronze gear collar. I don’t think they would have had much luck had they tack welded bronze to steel.

Wayne, you could very well be right. I don’t have any HE heads to look at, but what I do know is that on my 71 E Type, 75 XJS and 74 XJ-12 heads the front 3 plugs are angled forward and the back 3 plugs are angled backwards. At least when looking down at them from above the engine. Perhaps its based on the angle of your point of view, ya got me! It’s just that if you don’t cut away the part that links the ports at the head, you’ll have a problem getting at the plugs and I’m told that on the HEs this is not a problem since the plugs are angled differently.

thildemar, I found my manifolds on ebay, you just have to keep a search open for them since they don’t pop up that often. Another possibility is Jaguar Heaven here in California. They sell parts from wrecked Jags as their main business. They’ve been able to supply me several oddball parts that weren’t available from the usuals. NAYYY

…on my 71 E Type, 75 XJS and 74
XJ-12 heads the front 3 plugs are angled forward and the back 3 plugs
are angled backwards.

On the H.E. heads, the plugs are all angled toward the centerline. So I
guess ALL Jaguar V12 plugs are angled, just in different directions!

– Kirbert

more and more electronics…
I have an XJS that I’ve completely rewired (back to stock because 1. couldn’t afford the ECM and 2. the job was a bit daunting.) ECM. Going back to stock was quite the undertaking it took me nearly a year (part time / weekend warrior). out came the engine and transmission as well as all of the interior, dash, seats, console, carpet, all of it.

Going Electronic, does sound very nice; there’s a gentlemen in our local Jag club who’s done just that.

But what I know about ECM’s and the stuff you’ll have to address are:

1. Rewire the whole engine management system to work with the new ECM.

2. Locate a replacement incompatible bits like,MAS, TPS, O2 sensor, Engine Temp / intake manifold pressure and temperature, cold start, fuel pressure sensor that will work with modern ECM or figure out how to incorporate the existing above mentioned bits to work with the modern ECM. That’s just the fuel side of things.

3. Ignition wiring and sourcing the required bits.

if you’re going individual coil packs, then you’re going to figure out a way to incorporate a couple of cam positioning sensors, a crank positioning sensor.
Then string all the bits together and get them talking to one another

Back to me and my decision to back to stock
Besides the funding issue for the ECM, the ignition aspect was more or less a deal breaker for me. I wanted coil packs. While the engine was out for the rewire, I spent a little time with a degree wheel attempting to wrap my head around how I was going to make and fit a crank trigger. I quickly discovered this endeavor exceeded my skill set. or simply put I was way over my head.

for what it’s worth.
Mark