Custom Seats in a Mk2?

Has anyone swapped different seats into their Mk2?

I’d like to have more bolstering, maybe some adjustability. Headrests.

But not racing seats, something safer and more modern.

Anyone done something similar? What did you use and how hard was the swap?

Thanks

Jag XJS front seats from early 80 'ies are perfect.
Dirk

I am using 1990 vanden plas power seats. Headrests and picnic tables.
Lin

Good options both. Do the picnic tables match the rest of the wood in the mark two?

Close, but in my case it doesn’t matter as I will refinish all the wood at the same time.
Lin

I put those XJ40 VDP seats in my Series 1 XJ6, at the request of my daughters who wanted picnic tables. I can tell you that it’s hard to remove the (usually cracked) polyester picnic table finish, particularly from the curved edges.

I don’t remember if the Mark 2 has the quaint little handles on the tables like the Mark X. Anyway, the S1 XJ6 lacked picnic tables but used the same handle on the glove box door. I added a pair to the XJ40 tables and I like the “integrated” look.

One other note…on earlier versions of these seats the power switches are remote, but around 1993 or so (X300?) the same seats came with integral controls–a lot more convenient to fit if all of the adjustments are to be functional.

I’ve seen the XJ40 seats fitted more than once.Maybe Google it. I think the '88-'89 seats would be easiest.
Good luck,

Rob

Good options. I especially like the design of the XJS seats. Will start keeping eyes peeled for a set available locally. Thanks

I’ve used 1999 XJ8 seats, I also found them to be a reasonable pattern match to the stock back seats - not exact of course, but very close. No pick-nik tables in these but all the power options, etc.

Sorry for the delayed response

XJ40 front seats do fit, however, they sit lower in relation to the floor, that is, the Mk2 seat are high enough to clear a raised channel that runs from the doors to the rear transmission attachment points. . In my experience I had to raise the XJ40 seats by about two inches and modify these channels (lower them) l to allow the XJ40 seats to move back and forth.

George
Cincinnati OH
1965 Mk2