Custom underbody tray

JLO, that is amazing , never seen the XJ220 under body!

i have a model of one ,i shall have to take it off pedastil and see whats there!

1 Like

custom made panels , kept the roof line but shrunk it , shorter WB , laid back the windshield angle, used some of the reinforcing tubing for extra fuel capacity.

other things cant remember at moment!!> we may never know what else he may have done.

you could say he was ahead of the rest of the crowd?

As NASCAR,s measuring equipment got better it found that Bill Elliotts number 9 Ford was slightly smaller that the factory car. Part of the reason he was so dominant at the time.

1 Like

i think Bill still holds the Daytona track lap record of average 212 MPH.

the next year they changed the rules to slow them down.

ron

That’s also part of the reason that, up til the adoption of the Cars of Tomorrow–which are ALL the same body–the was a silhouette gauge.

Smokey also figured out the roll cage made a dandy storage tank for giggle gas…:wink:

Ya know what they say: If you ain’t cheatin’, you ain’t racin’!

1 Like

Ha Haah …like the clever Toyota Belleville washer cheat in the WRC. Allowed the restrictor plate to move in operation but back in position when the engine off. Points for ingenuity!!!

Oh, and ducting to keep the inboard brakes (if you’re cat still has them) cool. I’ve seen a Jag or two where the inboard brakes caught the car on fire. The last one was on an Series I E-type. they caught it in time so damage was minimal.

ILooking at that XJ220. That’s no undertray, it’s armor plating. Lift is just 4 four inch pads. Dang!

Most effective thing to do with airflow under the car is to avoid it. Chin spoiler, check. Reducing airflow under the car will drop the Cd and improve stability at speed.

An additional under-car air dam ( stiff 1/4” thick rubber is commonly used ) at the front of the cradle might be worth testing.

Next best thing is to minimise parasitic drag, from sh!t hanging out in the airstream.

Google the World’s Fastest E-Type (Rob Beere’s V12 circuit race car) still running, measured over 200 mph

See, this is where I think the aerodynamicists go wrong. You can install a front spoiler or air dam, but you cannot create a vacuum under the car, there will still be air there. And the ground will still be stationary while the car is moving, so drag will be created as the air is sheared between the ground and the bottom of the car. Hence, a smooth bottom would greatly decrease drag.

It does: witness the Gullwing Mercedes underbelly.

those darn Germans are always one upping things !

dont think anybody runs Bonneville without some type underbelly?

1 Like