MKX 4.2
420G
XJ6 4.2
4.2 S2
3.4 S2
4.2 S3
3.4 S3

1 Like

I bought and evaluated I think every two-carb variant of the straight port inlet manifold family. My decision to use the E-Type manifold was driven by the fact that I knew I would be using manual choke 2" SU’s and its more pleasing appearance. The E-Type manifolds were finished to a much higher standard compared to the others. As Roger notes, the E-Type manifold carries its carbs lower so that they clear the bonnet. This might create an interference with the steering column in a RHD car.

Nope, works perfectly with RHD. No clearance problems with steering column.
Remember, E-types were primarily designed as RHD, albeit Jaguar was fully aware that LHD was their biggest market, thus really they were designed for both RHD and LHD, thus such a simple job (relatively) to convert a LHD E-type to RHD, and vice versa. Not like many other brands, that have great difficulty, if not impossible to convert.

Roger

Residentalien,

Of those what all would have been a straight port that looks identical to the 3.8 Etype head? Trying to broaden my search to other matches.

Not 100% sure but would have thought all before the XJ6 would be the same !

Here is a few pics of a 1975 3.4 xj6 Engine , I am getting it ready to fit in my MK2 , Iam making it look like a 340 engine as much as I can , looking in from the bonnet they will look the same .
In the 3rd pic you can see the hole I need to drill and tap for the 3rd cap head bolt !

!

hi the third hole is drilled and tapped 1/4 whit tapping drill size is
13/64 To take a 1/2 inch x 1/4 whit SHCS . Looks like your last picture
answers my “curly” question It clearly shows the "bump "at rear of head
for extra water ports Looks like i,ll have to weld them up Thanks to
everyone for their input Regards Terry Hilton Australia

Thanks for the drill size terry , got some new 1/4 UNC SHCS’s , I was going to stick a drill in one of the other holes to get the size , have a tap on its way !

I found this list , www.westnet.com/~mfrank/cylheads.html

and took a pic of a head I am just finding out about , I did not know what waterways it had , I do now !

You can find that info here, if you have the book:

Hi Ian and List The confusion started with a head not on my list stamped
7D I thought correctly it was from a 420. Its the same as your picture
but without the 2 extra water ports at back! Maybe some kind of
transitional casting It would readily lend itself to a 3.4/3.8 block if
the two unrequired water passages on inlet side were plugged off. I was
hoping the unseen 3.4 XJ head was the same , but after the many pics posted
I can see its not . The 7D 420 head i have has been butchered and machined
away I cant use it on an engine ,only for bits and pieces. Thanks to all
on the list and hello to some familiar names from years gone by Regards
Terry Hilton Australia

I can’t seem to post to JL so I’ll use reply to ask a question. I have to install the chrome under the windshield of my 150 roadster. I have never done this before, do I center the chrome and start putting it under the rubber at the middle or do I start at one end and work my way to the other side of the car? Any suggestions on how to do this would be appreciated.

Len Wheeler