cylinder head impossible to remove xj6 s3 1979

Hello problem of cylinder head gasket I tried to remove the cylinder head but it is stuck impossible to remove if someone has already had this problem sorry I’m French I use google translation

There are MANY posts in the searchable archives about problems removing head.

Aluminum head galls against steel studs…bi-metallic corrosion

I have had best luck with 2 slim bottle jacks, one on either side, there is a ledge in the block
to brace them on. Use timber wedges or baulks to keep it level, and work it up.

you may have to reposition the jacks

(safer to take cams off, so no valve can be bent)

do not use metal levers

In the worst case, the head studs may double-nut out, but this is a last resort option,
as it can lead to further serious/terminal issues

allow penetrating oil to soak the holes

work the head up & down (place hardwood and bash it down with a heavy hammer)

dont rush, can take ages

1 Like

Also you may use Coca-Cola floating the holes to the studs and leave it a few days. Believe it or not, Coke will eat up the aluminium/steal corrosion.
Worked for me fine.
Good luck,
Gregor

1 Like

Hope Google works as well both ways, Chris - and that you have an appropriate workshop manual…

As others clarify; brute force and time is required - but make sure that all nuts/bolts above and below the cylinder head are removed…

The head corroding to the studs is the problem - forcibly trying to remove the studs may cause the studs to break - causing additional problems. Patient manipulation may loosen them - and free the head…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

Je vais essayer cela et je reviens vers vous merci beaucoup

Bonne chance !

Aristides

Have you removed all the bolts…including the small front bolts under the head on front timing chain cover. If so then just keep soaking with penetrating fluid.

Yes all bolts are removed I will follow your advice and put penetrating liquid I saw on forums that some action the starter to use engine compression to take off the breech is it really possible (Google Translate)

Yes all bolts are removed I will follow your advice and put penetrating liquid I saw on forums that some action the starter to use engine compression to take off the breech is it really possible (Google Translate)

-------- Message d’origine --------

My car prefers pepsi cola…

1 Like

Don’t know the Google description, Chris - but the compression force is indeed around 1300 pounds.

The drawback is that the cam chain must be attached and the head movement restricted by loosening, not removing, the head nuts to protect the cam chain. And once the head lifts, the compression is lost, and the main problem with the xk is corrosion between head and studs - which may not be effectively broken with little movement. However…

The jack method usually works, with patience - but it is important that the head is lifted straight up, or it will bind against the studs…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)