Cylinder head leak

There is something not quite right here. I will take some pictures of the old cylinder head from my 1969 E-Type, which I believe to be original, as well as one of spare Series III XJ6 cylinder heads and Series III block to document the configuration of the cooling passages. Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures handy of the top of my E-Type’s block to compare that to Bram’s.
Hopefully I can sort out exactly how this cylinder head swap worked for me so that Bram can determine if it can work for him.

Paul

I was quite certain that this was the original engine block. I’ve seen quite some stamped engine numbers and this one looks very original. But of course I can be mistaken. Maybe noteworthy to say is that this car still has some Series 1 features. Like the old brakes on the IRS.

Unless I’ve lost track, it appears you were running a ‘long’ cylinder head on a ‘short’ block without the two later extra holes. The conventional wisdom is that the extra holes in the long head must blocked off. I looked once with a composite gasket and it looked like it might be possible to seal the head without plugging but I didn’t dare to risk it. Maybe leakage is only an issue with steel gaskets?

I have lost track :grinning:

Quite simple, really. There is the outer coolant channels in both heads, then there is the head stud drilling and then: two further holes on the carboned head and his block!

Serves me right for using my old early iPhone while in the UK (with a screen the size of a postage stamp).

So while the welder is repairing the corrosion in the areas hecansee, here area couple of pics of a n SS head we sectioned. The square outlines a small hole starting where the head stud traverses. Not only does it provide a route to loose coolant abut weaken the pillar that transmits pressure onto the head gasket.
And of course weld is soft , A bit like cheese to machine where-as thehead has been heat treated to harden it.

1 Like

Oi vey es mir…:persevere:

I assume new heads are in short supply?

Not since I’ve been making new ones. :>)

Paul Only a minor deity
The heads are for 16 HP and 20 HP SS1s. Sidevalves. AS to the cost . if you can afford the car , you can afford a new head casting. There’s currently a very nice 1936 tourer for sale in USA , US$525,000.
With one of our heads on it. Making heads is easy, making the RAG carburretters from scratch wasa real trick.

2 Likes

Well seeing you are cashed up , There’s a company in UK casting wide angle twin cam heads… and blocks. And new 3 1/2 litre SS blocks, They told me they’d do an alloy 3 1/2 litre SS blocks.
Oh and they do LW E Type alloy blocks. Let us know what they are like when you get one.
Pffft to flat heads, How many Xks are asking $ 525,000 ? or heaven knows how much Jaguar paid for Jenny’s SS90

1 Like