Cylinder Head Removal Questioin

I have a nice running S3 XJ6 motor that I am going to put in my '65 E. I want to put the correct lifting brackets, chrome acorn nuts, and wire loom on the motor. My question is can I get away with replacing the acorn nuts, one at a time? Or am I just asking for problems If I don’t remove the head completely and re-install with a new gasket? On other motors I have successfully replaced one or two head bolts or nuts, but never all of them.

Thanks,
Dave Christensen
Tucson, AZ - You don’t have to shovel sunshine!
1965 E Type OTS
2012 XJ
2013 XK

It’s a long stud engine: all depends on how corroded the bottom of the studs are, and also how stuck the nuts might be.

I’d remove all the core plugs, clean out the water jacket, and visually ascertain the condition of the lower sections of the studs.
If good, then removing/replacing one nut at a time may work OK.

YMMV!

1 Like

Correct lifting brackets may be too thick to allow you enough threads to engage the acorn nuts. Those studs under the lifting brackets are longer than the others.

1 Like

Kris, unfortunately you have a good point. There is absolutely NOT enough thread to use the thicker lifting brackets.

Now I have to decided whether to use the chrome nuts or leave the zinc ones.

thanks,
Dave Christensen

I would put the chrome ones on. They really dress the engine up nicely

Yes, I agree and will use the chrome nuts.

Dave Christensen

I would advise against that. Those brackets are aluminum. If you machine them down some unsuspecting person in the future could try to use them and someone could be seriously injured or killed.

You can fab something up with some 3/16 steel angle and omit the washers under the acorn nuts to lift with. Agree the aluminum would easily fail if thinned enough to let you thread the accord nuts.