Cylinder head washers

hi all, have looked in the archives but not found direct answer. i have the cylinder head at the machine shop being rebuilt and when i refit it i have to check and make sure that the domed head nuts are not bottoming out on the head studs. could someone please confirm what washers ie round and d type go where on the 14 studs and are there any on the ones with the lifting brackets. 3.4 s type. thanks bob.

Not sure if they are all the same , but just read in a book , 2 round washers on the front 2 studs , and D on the rest .

1 Like

This ‘kit’ is on ebay - don’t know if the image helps answer your question.

1 Like

Hi From memory the order of studs and washers positions are reading from the rear of the block
first row 2x C2269 standard studs with D washers and clutch pipe bracket on the manual type
second row 2x C23609 longer studs for engine lifting brackets with D washers
Third, fourth and fifth rows 6 C2269 standard studs with D washers
The sixth row 1x C23609 long stud plus 1 x C2270 dowel stud on the exhaust side for engine lifting brackets with D washers
Seventh Front row 2x C2269 standard stud with Round washers
I used to wrap a little string on the studs underneath the washers to prevent any oil seepage
All the domed nuts should tighten ok provided you haven’t taken enormous amounts off the head. You can easily measure before assembly Hope this helps
Some part numbers may have changed as these are old original numbers

1 Like

hi brian, thanks for your reply. do the d washers go on top or under the lifting brackets. thanks.bob.

Hi Bob
I would put them on top of the brackets so that the domed nut is not digging into the light-alloy bracket
Also, remember to re-torque the head after the engine is run-in
Cheers
Brian

1 Like

The new D washers are thinner and smaller , and not as good as the original , well the ones I have seen , will try and find both , and take a pic !

1 Like

thanks brian, how many miles do you think re torque and do you do it when cold.

Hi Bob
Originally the first free Jaguar service was at 1,000 miles when the head torque of 54 lbs-ft cold was
checked and oil and filter changed so I presume this is correct.
Don’t forget that if you are going from auto to manual you will need a spigot bush in the end of the crank to carry the gearbox main shaft
Cheers
Brian

1 Like