Cylinder headache

I am currently restoring a 1953 XK120 FHC.
The engine was rebuilt by a reputable shop and was bench tested before it was returned to me.
However, the spark plugs wire conduit was not installed before fiitting the head back onto the cylinder block, so that needs to be done. At the same time, I will install brand new washers, nuts, etc, as well as 2 engine lifting brackets. My question is , do I need to use a new head gasket? (I think I know the answer and I already bought one)

Also, what are the pros and cons of installing a tappet guide holding kit?

I’m trying to think of everything that needs to be done while the cylinder head is off, and if anybody has suggestions or if I forgot something, please let me know.

Thank you,
Bernard

If you do the nuts one at a time, you should be OK, and a stakedown kit is good insurance.

1 Like

The tappet guide holding kit was created to solve a problem with the heads made in the 1970s, when they were severely overheated. We rarely hear of guides from 1950s heads working loose, unless they have been bodged up by modern rebuilders.

Plus the head doesn’t need to come off for a tappet kit any more than for new nuts. But the lift bracket studs may need switching and that needs care even in a dry short stud engine.