D-type wheels on XK

A good guess, although they’d be long hoses. I don’t really know the XK and whether there’d be room for a 3-gallon tank there? The old-school bonnet and wings wouldn’t leave much room where the D and E put theirs.

Or to be more correct[ish], a set of Dunlop alloy rimmed wires. This set were ex a Le Mans C Type and we found them unrecgnised at an auction. And the price was " right " , very right : >)

Sounds like a deal! Would be nice to come accross. There was a single one on Ebay recently for ~$1200

Hi Peter:

My 120 was sold out of a Toronto dealership and has lived all it’s life in southern Ontario (read: salt!). As a result it was in pretty rough shape when I purchased it in 1963. The original splash protection under the front wings angled back from the engine compartment metal, thus providing a perfect catchment area for snow and salt. During my years of ownership I removed what was left of the inner wing sheet metal and fabricated vertical panels (initially out of galvanized, but more recently out of aluminium now that the car has long since ceased to be winter driven) to fit behind the wheels. This leaves plenty of space and, if one fitted an outrigger off the frame, could easily house a dry sump reservoir. Problem, as you say, is that if it is on the right hand side it is opposite where the D-type and Lightweight E-types had their tanks necessitating long hoses to skirt the engine. Certainly later XKs had their batteries mounted in that location.

I have scoured my literature and only found a single photo of 1 ALL, but it is no additional help regarding the filler cap as it is lying behind another XK and is not clear enough to show anything. Another mystery!

Regards,

Chris.

Brandon

The whole set of five cost that … in AU$. and in pretty good condition
Ther e was an auction of the late John Blanden’s stuff. [ including a desirable ex Malcolm Campbell Bugatti]
He’d put ’ new’ wheels on the C Type , not realising that they weren’t just standard steel wires.

I was there with JO who was restoring the car and saw them . I said " don’t obviously look at them and hopefully no one else will notice "

They didn’t . I must have earnt karma from living a clean life … or something.
I thought the US company who makes wire wheels used to make C Type alloy rim wheels.

well spotted the lower photo doesn’t in fact have the d type spinner and may just be std disc wheels with holes cut in them!

Notice the two shots at Brands Hatch (or above & below the BH heading) have different D-Type wheels. The top car had the 1954 12-hole Dunlops, whereas the car below (and every other picture?) uses the 15 hole wheels used for all but the very first D-Types.