Daimler 250 distributor

I would like to convert to an electronic ignition. Last time I did this on my V8 Rover I replaced the distributor and coil but I note that conversion kits are available to replace the points in my existing distributor. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of this please?

Ive not done a Daimler, but a v8 is a V8: the easiest thing to do is the FAST system: itā€™s simple, reliable, and is a huge improvement over the archaic points and condensor.

https://www.jegs.com/i/FAST/244/6000-6300/10002/-1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk_XH-sXw6QIVDdbACh0xZALrEAQYASABEgL2t_D_BwE

The Daimler jag uses a twin point distributor, not sure if thatā€™s a problem?

Dual-point distributors increases the dwell time, for better coil saturation. A good electronic system obviates the need.

Thanks Guys,

My original question (poorly expressed) was really about trying to decide whether to replace the whole distributor or just fit an electronic ignition kit. However, it is not nearly as easy as I hoped to source a new distributor (relatively cheap and easy for my 3.5 V8 Rover) but I have managed to free up the vacuum advance and the centrifugal weights and get it all working so it should all be to go now. For the moment I will stick with the dual point system and change to an electronic kit down the track if needed.

Need any parts? I have a pile!

:wink:

I assume you mean for Rover ā€“ unfortunately the Rover had to go to make room for the Daimler. Would love to have been able to keep them both butā€¦.

2 Likes

Was it a P6, or an SD1?

Iā€™ve had a P4, P6 and a 75. I really wanted a P5b coupe, but couldnā€™t find an good one at an affordable price so ended up with the Daimler V8-250.

P5b coupes were as rare as rocking horse hockey, here: I had collected good P5s, one with a VERY rare MOD, that I was going to make into a good driver.

One week, after coming back from a camping tripā€¦ Dad had them ALL squashed.

Patricide crossed my mindā€¦

I had the P5BV8 in the UK early ā€˜70ā€™s, it was a 1969 MY I used it as a private hire cab around the streets of Birmingham, the BW developed a fault and once moving in second I had to slip it into neutral and then back into D to get into top. One time I went too far in the gate and managed to hit R, immediate cessation of engine revolutions, after that incident I bit the bullet and had the trans rebuilt. Then the 1st wife got preggers so we repatriated back to NZ, of course during our time there the oil shock hit so the value of the car plummeted really would have liked to have bought the car back here but FiL was paying the airfares :frowning:

Ouch! Was it something like, ā€œI told you again and again to clean up the yard orā€¦ā€

P5ā€™s are starting to become rare here (Australia) and the price for a good one has really begun to reflect their value. ā€˜Bā€™s and Sā€™s even more so.

Howā€™s the covid-19 and this racial madness affecting you in Colorado?

Noā€¦he just got a wild hair up his clackerā€¦to say I was pissed, was to say one would be a bit wet in the face of a tsunamiā€¦!

We are definitely trending down, but then again, we have a governor who isnā€™t playing footsies with those who reject science or are whinging about their faux lost ā€œfreedoms.ā€ We are staging openings of businesses slowly, and so far, have not had the resurgence of the red states who opened up too early.

I fitted the lumenition system many years ago. It requires a minor adjustment filing down a small amount off the post the points slide on. I think you could still revert to points if needed.
Itā€™s worked great and because there was a slight play in my distributor making points set up tricky it means I have eliminated that. Have not needed to touch it since.
Itā€™s an optical trigger with a chopper mounted on the shaft.
Cheers
John

1 Like

My mates dad bought a brand new Rover SD1
After a few days he drove to London in it. On the motorway, the head lining dropped onto his head. He said it was a good job heā€™s tall as he held it there with his head until he reached a service station! Good old Leyland quality!

1 Like

I ran a pertronix unit in a 2 5 I had. Wasnā€™t long and it had points installed as original.

Truly, of all the absolute piles of crap that British Leyland put out, the Rover SD1 was one of the biggest ones.