Damned cotter pins

Disconnected the front end of the drive shaft last night. This took an hour. The drill came in handy. Broke a bit flush with the castle. …fun.

I know… No sympathy for self-inflicted pain.

1 Like

I just use a good box end wrench, or open, if no room, and twist through the cotter, then drill out.

I then replace, in all possible cases, with good nylons, and banish the cotter pins!

1 Like

On most of my cars there’s so much oil and grease in that area there’s no question of anything rusting in place…

I’m finding that on the this car most of the fasteners were preserved with the British rust-proofing system from the engine rearward, and undercoating in most other places.

I do wish they had sprayed the floor-board bolts. Nearly every one had to be cut off.

1 Like

A good friend who is English told me that when he was a small boy in the late 40’s early 50’s, his family was blessed with an automobile which his his father took great care of, changing the oil regularly. When he changed the oil, he jacked the car up, drained the old oil and gave Philip a large brush and the old engine oil,
Philip’s job was to crawl under the car and to paint the entire underside with the engine oil to rustproof it, On occasion his father would remove the door cards and Phillip would coat the inside of the doors as well as the back of the door cards.He said their car always smelled oily, but the family understood it was all for the best,
Mike Moore

2 Likes