Dash-Cam, anyone?

When I retired from my real job some years ago, I drove Prevost coaches for a few years for a local company.Every coach was equipped with a camera which would capture any encounter out on the highways.
That prompted me to install a Dash-cam in all my vehicles. I made a bracket which attaches to the rear-view mirror on my Jag. When the engine runs, the camera is recording.
Yesterday, we went out for a burger and fries (and of course, ice cream) and on the way home my brakes were tested. A nice straight road, out in the country, and this fool decides to back out of his driveway, full speed astern.
I saw him coming, and had the car at a dead stop as he entered the road, and the brakes on the car worked really well! I pulled this frame from the video, which is much more dramatic.
Tested seat belts, too! Guess you never knowā€¦

2 Likes

I have pondered getting a dashcam. Everybody in Russia has them, thatā€™s why that meteorite got so much video coverage. There are many models to choose from, though, and Iā€™d have no idea which one to get. And I suppose one could just get a GoPro and mount it there, which would allow me to use it for other stuff, too. Or maybe I could just mount my smartphone up there with some sort of app.

This took place recently, too. 70+ MPH, northbound on I-79. Clear road, not much traffic. I do try to pay attention when I drive. Not so sure about this moron. This tested steering and horns.

2 Likes

Many drivers apparently do not.

1 Like

I think itā€™s easiest to buy a dedicated one. Theyā€™re cheap and using your phone or gopro is kind of a hassle. Sometimes I wish I had one, theyā€™re not exactly legal here, because everyone here likes to whine about privacy, but I think but the evidence can be used. Also some maneuvers Iā€˜d just like to keep and show others because sometimesā€¦ it happens.

Hope you avoided eating your lunch twiceā€¦

1 Like

This would be a good topic for the Pub.

I donā€™t know where you are, but in Canada you cannot claim privacy in a public place.

I like that idea. Itā€˜s public. As long as it is not used to shame identifiable persons or worse. Nowadays you have to request permission allll the time and we do not have functioning street view either. Anyways, this is our situation but Iā€™d still use one and short recordings are legal.

I like watching dashcam videos sometimes and they have saved me in some situations where I could anticipate danger - also, because of them I can choose what upsets me and what shouldnā€™t. Some mistakes just happen!
1 Like

Duh! How can people claim a right to privacy standing at a bus stop?

WTH is wrong with that? Pointing out idiotic behavior is kinda the point. If you donā€™t want to be shamed, donā€™t do anything shameful.

In Germany, the ā€œPrivacy Partā€ is when the picture is later posted. You then need that personā€™s explicit permission to use their likeness. If I take a photo of the cool castle in the background, fine. If I post that photo of the other family in the photo on the internet without their permission, thereā€™s a privacy issue. Similarly, with the dash cam, you can use the footage to sue the knucklehead who cut you off, but if you then post the encounter here, where he could be publicly embarrassed by it, he could counter-sue.

Thatā€™s stupid. Why canā€™t we elect legislators who donā€™t come up with stupid stuff?

We do. It is the Germans (and other Europeans) who donā€™t; for a whole different set of historical baggage. In Europe, people charged with a crime are not identified, In Canada, except for kids under 18, you can be identified and your picture published when you are charged with a crime.

I have a dash cam mount and hard wiring in each of my jags and simply move the camera itself to the driven car.
Decent size memory card and GPS function is very handy for making note of exact location of items of interest or road problems following a journey.

1 Like

I believe everyone in Russia has a dash cam. Apparently itā€™s necessary because the vast majority of Russians canā€™t drive. In addition it appears that most of their cars donā€™t actually have brakes. I Watch some of these videos on YouTube And I am always amazed.( smile)

1 Like

Depends! The behavior can be pointed out, but I donā€™t like pointing the finger at the idiots behind it. Then again what is public is public and I donā€™t get how anything has to be pixelated (plates). Faces, okay, pixelate.

Australians are much more fun. I recall Russians got or get cheaper insurance with the camera.

While I take your point, I think you might consider the history of law enforcement based on public shaming, as well as some other unkind things that happened in more eastern sections of the country, and the sensitivities may make a touch more sense.

Some would gladly welcome back public stocks.