Dash - Instrument panel leather/vinyl restore?

I used the “Forever Black” product to restain/dye the dash facia vinyl and it looks great. I then installed the new switch panel and cleaned/restored/new gauges (including speedometer and tachometer)

Now to fashion a spacer for between the bottom of the dash and the aftermarket AC vents.

6 Likes

Looks great Bob! Your car is really coming along!

Thanks Chet, but I’d still have that cheesy looking ignition switch bracket if it wasn’t for your sharp eye and great memory on recalling that I needed one when you saw it available on the UK E-Type forum.

That looks great!
Your almost there…

Bob,
I have a 69 FHC W/original A/C. I’ve replaced the system W/ Classic Auto Air (bought out Rock Brownings retro air)Copell Tx. 877-342- 5526. Steve, ext 8024 helpful technician.
With this kit came 2 plastic fillers. One for the far right end, one for the left. The large center space originally was(it’s still there) a rectangular rubber, fixed at the top & much larger than the vertical space that basically folded backward along the top of the a/c unit. Can’t remember if it literally attached to the bottom of the fuse box pull down plate. Think so. Car is up on a lift as I mentioned the other day. Will be working on it next 1 or 2 days & I’ll take a picture & send.
You can call Classic for spacers. Just went Po paperwork & think this is them: RA00002-04-panel,finish,case XKE left.
RA00002-05- panel,finish,case, XKE, right
They might have supplied a “filler” for the center, don’t know as I kept original as it doesn’t affect pull down fuse plate. Pic to come.
Michael Caro

1 Like

When I purchased the car there were several black foam blocks inserted between the dash and the vent unit. They were dry and dusty and didn’t look correct. Additionally, while the switch panel was cracked, there was a rubber flap like setup attached to the bottom of the instrument section that would fold out of the way when it was hinged down. I wasn’t happy with the look or function.

I’ll give Classic Air a call since they are just a few miles away from me to see what they suggest, otherwise I’ll keep working on my plan to fashion a section to replace the foam. Thanks for the suggestion.

Wow, thank you. I just spoke with the tech support line at Classic Air. As it turns out, they are a few miles away from me and have agreed to sell me the missing parts. Typically, these parts are part of a kit and not sold separately, but upon hearing my story about the missing pieces, they agreed to sell me the two sections. I will be picking them up tomorrow and will post pictures, once I get around to installing them. Thanks again for the great information.

ps. At first they said they weren’t available, but once I was able to give them the part numbers, they found them and agreed to sell them.

Great. They fit, depending on how high or low you set the A/C vent
frame. Caution, too far forward on R. spacer & glove box won’t open.
Slight bevel @ top of spacer- fill W/some black caulk.
One can hardly see my center rubber & it doesn’t flap down.
Pic 1 or 2 days.
Be well.

My rubber strip is toast, ripped, and dried out. When you take pics in a day or two, take a close up of the rubber strip mounting so I can attempt to replicate. I can’t seem to find that section of the switch panel install.

Here come the pics, Bob.
The rubber is definitely attached to the fuse, toggle pull down plate.
But I can’t see where & not about to take the door out, which you’ll
probably have to do. I got a good pic. W/the door up. You can barely
see the rubber. It is folded back, sits on top of the a/c & simply looks like darkness. 2nd pic W/door all the way down. You ca see right through to the back of the firewall & some wires, but can’t see the rubber flap. I can reach past the bottom of the door toward the fuses & slip my fingers down near the defroster tubes & touch the unattached
edge of the rubber, but can’t lift it up to take a pic. Too short. There’s a horizontal plate @ the bottom of the door across the whole length covered in black vinyl. I can slip my fingers under & feel the rubber mounted there behind that little plate. Surely you’ll have to pull the door out. It feels like the runner is sandwiched between the bottom back of the door & a plate or bar. I can reach in & feel it W/door open.
Or is the door out now as you said the rubber was toast. Mine is original.

1 Like

I just picked up the black plastic insert pieces from Classic Auto Air today. They will look great when I get around to that project. In the meantime, I need to find some thin rubber material to fashion a new sweep to install on the bottom of the switch panel. Thanks again for the contact info and now the photos.

When I send pics they’re stacked on top of each other.
What do I do to separate them?

@mcaro When you are composing your reply and inserting the pictures, the compose panel is on the left side of the computer screen. On the right side is a view panel, although sometimes it displays other relevant message threads. You click on the x to close the relevant messages and then you should see a view of what you are typing and composing. When you insert an image if you hover your mouse over it you will see an option to re-size the image from 100% to 75% or 50%. These still allow the reader to click on them and see them full size but it reduces the image size in the message. You can also insert a line between images by hitting the return key on your key board. Let me know if this doesn’t make sense and I’ll send you some screenshots.

1 Like

This is a test, here are images you inserted

Spaces inserted by me)

Now here is a screenshot of them at full size

And here is one where I selected 50% from below each image

Make sense?

1 Like

Click on each image to see it full size, then click on the X in the top right hand corner to close the enlarged image.

Thanks, Bob.
I’ll work on it. Although I used a PC in my career as a h.s. guidance counselor in one of the nations finest high schools & toward the end of my career had to process secondary school reports, transcripts & college recommendations through a computer system, I’m not good W/this stuff in general. At home I have an I-pad only. But I conceptualize your directions. Also, recently in another thread folks answered this question for me. I will get there. Nice job on separating the pics I sent to you. Lots of talented people on this forum.
I hope that your A/C spacers & center console sweep are coming along.
Thanks,
Michael Caro

I ran several software companies. While I’m not a developer/programmer, I learned enough along the way to stay current on tech and to be able to translate engineering speak into customer comprehensible language. I’m the guy that teaches all the neighbors on how to setup their WiFi, computers, smart phones, etc…LOL.

I have the AC system inserts sitting on my bench waiting for their turn at installation. Thank you for guiding me to those. I’m having to craft a new rubber sweep on the switch panel as the old one was exhausted and torn.

1 Like

Hi Geo, may I ask where you purchased dashtop? Is it pretty decent quality and matches original. My dash has a small crack and thinking about replacing

Thanks Joe

I got it from BAS/UK. Probably not worth ordering solo due to shipping, I got it along with many other interior bits for 2 cars.

In any case I cannot comment on fit & look at I have not gotten to it yet. It is stiff and has to be formed around the old metal base:

Thanks Geo, some of the other suppliers are out of stock

Joe