Dash LEDs and Clock Bulbholder Problem

I recently installed LED bulbs in the dash gauges and interior lighting on my 68 FHC. I’ve seen many posts about this and want to share my positive experience.

I obtained my bulbs from Classic car LEDs in the UK (classiccarleds.co.uk) because I found their website easy to use and find the appropriate bulbs based on the original bulb numbers. I installed green five-led bulbs (GLB987 E10 MES 5SMD(green) in all the gauges (speedo, tack, the four small gauges). I also installed white bulbs (GLB989 5SMD 80 lumen 5050) in the maplight and interior (dome) light. These are also the correct lights for the front white running lights. I am very happy with the result (see photo).

The Smiths clock in my series 1.5 takes a different size bulb, (281) and when preparing to install the led replacement the single wire came off the bulbholder. In the process of trying to repair it I managed to mangle the bulbholder so that it no longer secures the bulb. I have looked for a replacement bulbholder on the websites of the usuals but no success so far.

Any suggestions of where I could obtain a replacement bulbholder for the clock? It is a different size than the gauge bublholders, but I think the same as the bulbholders for the three bulbs which illuminate the legend strip below the rocker switches.

Any ideas welcome.

David
Dash%20leds

I intended to mention a few other things in my post.

I did not replace any of the indicator lights, only the gauges bulbs, as the indicators, including the legend strip, were fine. I also didn’t try to remove or repair any of the green filters in the gauges, - with the green leds, it wasn’t necessary. With the leds installed, the panel light switch does give two levels of illumination, but there is a relatively small difference between the dim and bright settings. I know some others have found none with the leds. The dim setting is more than sufficient.

David

David
My search on their website with the GLB 987 did not result in a bulb. I entered all the number and letters you show and still no results, Is there another nominclature that will get me to the right bulb?

Is this the bulb holder in question?

David, the BA7S-G is probably the LED replacement you have for the clock, it should also fit the 3 bulb holders in the designation strip for the switches. The good news is that I happen to have 2 spare lamp holders that will slide into the 3/8" clock lamp holder. You’re welcome to have one. The bad news it that it takes a different bulb. The bulb that fits it is a 12V capless bulb a # 286. There are LED replacements for the 286 e.g. https://tinyurl.com/y8vcwfo9
However if you don’t want to change to a different lamp holder, do a google search for a BA7S bulb holder (yours) you’ll get a number of hits with choices of online vendors and buy yourself a replacement. As for dimming, I dimmed my LED dash lights with a string of 1N4001 diodes wired in series to replace the series dropping resistor that’s mounted behind the dash. Each diode drops the voltage 0.7V. I think I wired a string of 6 in series to drop it down to about 9 V which worked great for the dim position with the LED’s I used. If you’re interested in any of this send me a PM.
Anthony

Thanks for all the helpful responses -

Len: , if you copy and paste this in your browser it should take you to the right bulbs - let me know if it doesn’t work.

Geo: Yes that is exactly the bulbholder I’m looking for - I see you have a Mike Eck clock refurbishment! I just got mine back from him and am very happy with it.

Anthony: Thanks for the info and your kind offer of a bulbholder. Since I already have the 281 bulb led replacement I think I’ll try to find the bulbholder to fit it online. If that doesn’t work I’ll get back to you about your spare bulbholder. Looks like you’re nearby in Toronto.

Thanks all,

David

401&DVP area David. Sounds like the LLB281 BA7S holder as shown by Geo is what you’re after to fit you LED. https://tinyurl.com/y8mm85q8
I used the following LED in the same holder and found it doesn’t light the clock up enough for my liking. But it might work for you… https://tinyurl.com/y99zlakc
As a result, I just ordered some of these to fit my replacement holders. I’m hoping with 3 SMD LEDs, it may be brighter. https://tinyurl.com/ydxb4ybr The price is right and if they work, I’ll have 4 left over if you want to try one in your clock.
The challenge is to find a bright LED that is small enough in diameter to fit in the 3/8" dia clock lamp sleeve. There are different approaches to lighting the instruments with LEDs. Some listers have dismantled their clocks and instruments and installed LED strip lighting in the shells with elaborate dimmers and some even have colour selectors. For me, I wanted an LED lighting option that looked original, that I could easily convert back to incandescent.
Good luck
Anthony

Thanks David, worked great, Bulbs on order!

Len

Another options is what John Carey did and use LED strip in the gauge. He has a video for it on YouTube.

Anthony, this is the 281 bulb I’m going to use.

The one I ordered shorted out on installation because of the problem with the bulbholder. In the brief time it was in place, it gave plenty of light. Classic Car LEDs was good enough to offer to replace the bulb for shipping costs alone as a goodwill gesture, and I have also ordered a bulbholder from them;

David

Hey David, that bulb looks like a great choice for the clock. Let me know how it works out when you get it installed with your new holder.
Anthony