Dash light resistor

Anyone make a dash light resistor for a SII or have a source for a resistor, what ohms and wattage

The Wattage rating is easy.
Count how many bulbs you have to power, add their wattage and double it to be on the safe side.
The resistance value is more complicated though. Something like 20ohms might do, but this is a figure out of my head.
Best would be either to measure an existing one or use ohm’s law to calculate amperage drop with resistance. Halving the amperage I think would suffice.

1 Like

I could make the argument that since the gauges are so dim, you just want zero resistance.

3 Likes

I measured an extra panel resistor at 5 ohms just now. At 12v the 8 panel lights (4 center dash, 4 on tach/speedo) produce 17.6 W (8x2.2w), consuming 1.5A in the process on the bright setting. Assuming 5 Ohm for the resistor on dim, the lights produce 7.5 W at 1.5A. Generally this current will be lower since the nominal voltage is about 13.6v.
So a 5 Ohm, 7.5 watt resistor would be sufficient (I’d use a 10 watt for a margin of safety). Make sure to use a wire wound resistor, and be careful on the resistor body length.You can easily find the resistor at Mouser.com.
Purchase several maybe a 5 Ohm,. 7.5 Ohm, 10 Ohm and see which looks best on the dim setting (just temporarily connect this resistor in place of the panel resistor)

I went a different way and installed LED lights, using a different resistor value to get the brightness right. I used a 3W 40 ohm wire wound resistor (Ohmite brand) obtained from Mouser.com. This will not work for the incandescent lights.

1 Like

Thanks I knew someone else had run into this problem.

The usuals have it under P/N C.32119

I forgot to add that the new wirewound resistor easily fits in the porcelain housing, just solder it between the spades after removing the old resistor. Looks unchanged from the outside.
Or you could start trolling ebay for the panel resistor, I think they were used on multiple Jaguar models. I don’t think they are offered new at Moss, SNGBarratt or MartinRobey or anywhere else.

I bought a 5 ohm 7.5 watt resistor Soldered it in place works perfect thanks for the help.

Glad to help. I went back and cleaned the terminals of the old panel resistor I had previously measured at 5 Ohms, and it measured 3.6 Ohms. If your dim setting is too dim, you can always substitute a slightly lower value resistor.

The reality is that they are to dim at full brightness I just wanted them to work incase anyone ever checked

I just switched to LED bulbs and now the entire dash is a Christmas tree and 75 percent less energy
No melted gauges or wires
The simplest up grade for safety more than ONE way!
Gtjoey

1 Like

Hey Joey, which LED bulbs?

Welsh SO FAR had the best complete dash kit
It was around 80 dollars
I cut out the green or blue filters
Your grounds must be clean!
It transforms the entire dash and so simple to do!
There are 11 dash bulbs?
At 5 watts each?
You go from 50/60 wats to 15ish?
It’s a huge load difference plus soooi much brighter

Great, on order! Thanks.

You will be more than happy
Just play with it…….