Dash pad removal - series 2 with factory AC

I removed mine about a month ago to fiddle with the heater cables so the process is fresh in my mind.

• Remove the two nuts at the extremities of the dash panel.

• Drop the gauge panel and remove the two nuts at the outer edge of each side of the space where all the fuses are.

• Pull the dash panel up and toward you, the demister vent tubes will disconnect by themselves,

• Set the dash top aside and do whatever you are going to do

• When I reinstalled the dash top I found I could connect some of the corrugated plastic lines to the demister vents but not others.

• Connect what you can and nut the dash panel in place.

• If you remove any trim panel from under the dash at the far left of the driver’s footwell you can reach up and connect the demister vents on that side. Then replace the trim pieces.

• The right side is a bit more complicated but doable.

• I supported the back edge of the round blower box with a small hydraulic jack.

• Then I removed the angle bracket that secures the AC unit to the right front kick panel.

• Let the hydraulic jack down a bit to let the ac unit drop maybe about an inch.

• There is a small trimmed metal panel held in place by a single screw; remove it.

• Peering into the space you’ve just created you should see the demister tubing and the bottom of the vents that are attached to the dash cover. Reach in and reconnect everything.

• Reassemble what you disassembled.

1 Like