Dashboard Gauges

All dashboard gauges on my '89 Daimler stopped working at same time. Any ideas as to where to start?

Thanks

What model Daimler do you have? If it is a 1989 Series III Daimler Double Six (with a V12 engine) then you are on the right list. If you have a Damiler Six, with a six cylinder rngine, then you should be posting to the XJ40 list.

Paul

Check fuse #4 (15A), Gadjo - on the chance that you have the V12; if not check with the xj40 list as Paul says…

That fuse covers the instrument lights and the reverse light, likely for all xj cars with the ‘series’ body. There is also the chance that you have lost ground for the instrument sub-panel.

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UKNZ)

Frank,

Greatly appreciate your prompt response. The vehicle is an XJ6 — first sold in Holland, so the User Manual is in Dutch!

A bit of background, the problem arose when I was in the process of replacing the rear fog lamps. They were damaged when the car was backed into a wall (by my wife). At first the gauges were fine but, after struggling to find the lamp wires, under the trunk carpeting, the gauges suddenly malfunctioned, perhaps a coincidence. The speedometer stuck at zero and the other dials stuck at maximum.

The car runs just fine. When I turn the key, the gauges jiggle a bit but stay fixed. The usual check lights come on and then — with the exception of those of battery, oil pressure and temperature — extinguish in the normal way. The trip counter doesn’t register or light-up. One other thing, once the fog lamps had been replaced, I discovered that the battery was defective even though it had been installed less than a year ago.

From scouring the forums, I’ve learned that the problem is not rare but the potential causes are numerous. I’ve replaced the Instrument Pack fuses and the battery but the problem persists.

My mechanical skills are very limited and my knowledge of electronics non-existant. I probably should not own old Jaguars but, I love them — I have three. You mention the Instrument Panel ground. How would I locate that?

To add to my difficulties, I am located in rural France where finding good mechanics is tough.

I have to say that I have been impressed by the generosity of Forum members in sharing their knowledge. Without it, at least two of my cars would be in the breakers yard. Any thoughts you might have would be greatly appreciated.

With thanks and regards,

Gadjo

Frank_Andersen

July 21

Paul,

Thanks for the very prompt response. My Daimler is an XJ6 so I will need to transfer to the XJ40 list.

Gadjo

No worries - I‘ve moved you.

David

David,

Many thanks.

Gadjo5