Date coding on seat cushion

I am presently in the middle of disassembling the drivers seat of my 140, and looking at the top surface of the rubber seat cushion, there is a circular clock-like symbol formed into the rubber surface which can be interpreted as being a date code corresponding to maybe April 1956.

The cushion also has the words

“ DUNLOP PILLO LATEX FOAM USH “
“MADE IN ENGLAND”
“F 607”

formed into the surface. The missing letters after the word FOAM are due to the top surface of the cushion being torn slightly upon removing the partly-glued-on leather covering.

The cushion also has a marking which seems to have been stamped with black ink onto the top surface.

Since this particular car was assembled in September 1956, maybe it would be safe to conclude that the clock-like symbol is a date code for when the cushion was actually made.

There is also a black hand written symbol on the back of the leather.

Does anyone know what the missing letters after the word FOAM would be…now it looks like the missing letters could spell out CUSHION?

1 Like

Stuff like this is great. I’ve found similar marking on motorcycle seat from the 70s (Yamaha).

You would assume ‘cushion’ to be the word that was there but there doesn’t seem to be enough room between the M and the U :confused:

Gary,

During the restoration of my XK 140 FHC SE (built date August 19, 1955) I found various similar Dunlop markings. There are (in my case) at least four different types of markings, the meaning of some is a guess:

1 The “Dunlopiilo” brand name: DUNLOPILLO LATEX FOAM CUSHIONING, followed by MADE IN GREAT BRITAIN. So it is CUSHIONING (instead of USH).
2. A number typically F1234 which differs per cushion type: the front seat cushion has number F3508 and the back rest of the rear seat reads F2781. Your number is only a 3-digit number (F607); possibly the numbering changed fro the year 1956. I don’t know whether that coincides with the change-over to a new (tubular) steel frame for the seat backs which necessitated a change of the cushion mould.
3. A date code which is placed next to a fixed number per mould like e.g. B03 28 in the back rest of the rear seat (different for left and right). The date code itself is a “clock dial” with the year in the centre. Each of the 12 hours represents a month, whereby an additional cross line is stamped in the mould when a month has started (or passed?). In my case this would imply that the cushion was manufactured in July 55, which seems possible for an August 1955 car (although very much “just in time”)…
4. An additional marking which could be order-related with typically the letters WI followed by a 2-digit number, placed in a rectangle. The rear seat cushion reads WI 32 and the back rest reads WI 26 or 36?
I have attached photos of the above mentioned items. Please feel free to comment, correct or add.

Regards,

Bob K.

1 Like

Hi Bob,
Thanks for posting your pictures, and for your comments.

I have, in my first post, mis-spelled the word “DUNLOPILLO”.

Also, it is sort of difficult to interpret the exact month, the clock-like date coding symbol is intended to denote.
And yes, perhaps the Jaguar factory was experimenting way back in the 1950s with the “Just Almost In Time” method of supplying inventory !

My cushion also has the WI symbol in black stamped ink, but the accompanying two digit number is 70.
Maybe, each worker had their own specific hand- held rubber stamp which could be used to apply the black ink WI symbol, for some reason?

It is fun to contemplate how these cars might have been assembled.

Thanks again for your comments.

1 Like