Dayton wire wheels or mws

Another interesting story…
This Factory restoration from Aston works was over 500,000 lbs or close to 600 grand!
Certified and all they restored the car with mws and their steel valves!
So there’s a reason I guess they went to mws?

Well, MWS is based in England, no? I’d probably choose to work with a “local” supplier, all other things being equal. (not saying they are or aren’t.)

I’m sure the chances are better that a local company can provide quicker service, especially for a prestigious operation. Even if Dayton wanted to work with Aston Martin, the distance probably wouldn’t be economical unless Dayton had a local facility. This is assuming there’s some level of custom work and support required as opposed to plug-and-play.

Dave

I used Dayton 15 X 7" on my vintage race car for 15 years. High speed offs, spins, gravel traps etc, never a issue. No broken spokes (SS) bent wheels rims etc, tubeless, always held air. I’ve been autocrossing and just generally driving on Daytons for 15 years, these are 16 X 7" and 17 X 7" aluminum rims. Again no issues whatsoever. Had a set of MWS wheels 25 years ago - made in India… Were stock Ser II wheels, needed tubes. Would occasionally autocross on them and would frequently break spokes. Hope current quality is better.

1 Like

Again my wheels from twenty and thirty years ago are fine

I just feel the quality is a bit less now

Gtjoey1314

I think this is the problem with discussions about parts quality for wheels, or any other reproduction parts. Quality is not a constant. The current anecdotal evidence seems to be that the MWS wheels may be better quality than the equivalent Daytons. The trouble is, the data always lags reality by some amount of time - maybe years in the case of wheels where appearance may not be the best measure of the quality of the product. If a manufacturer/vendor improves the quality of a part, how long does it take for the “street” to recognize the improvement? For as long as I can remember, Jaguar have lived with the reputation of unreliable shoddily built cars - a reputation that they got (justifiably) many decades ago. A reputation like that takes a loooooong time to lose…

1 Like

England and Ohio are not on different planets.

If a company like Aston Martin is restoring a handful of cars a year at 500-600k Pounds, I’d like to think that they are using the wheels they think are the best quality, and not trying to save a few hundred bucks on shipping.

1 Like

Wheel prices are not a concern for this Aston restoration, they probably just preferred to buy locally. Who knows.

My 20 years and 100k+ on Daytons included a lot of hard miles incl track days, autocrosses and hard driving all on sticky tires (under 200 threadwear) putting more stress on the rims.

I doubt either brand is better.

3 Likes

I’m told by one of their customers that Dayton had issues following the 2007/8 recession when they laid off and lost many of their employees. That created problems when they rehired and retrained new people as business slowly improved. My last Dayton’s - the ones with the aluminum rims were purchased in 2011. I like them because, they, like the other Dayton’s I’ve had use a slightly thicker ss spoke and are very strong.

has anyone tried the British Wire Wheels 15x6 inch wheel

https://www.classiccarperformance.com/collections/british-wire-wheels/products/jaguar-15x-6-72-spoke-curly-hub-chrome-tubeless-inner-outerlace

comments? DM if necessary

If I’m not mistaken, British Wire Wheel are a distributor of MWS wheels.

My understanding is there are only two manufacturers in the world for Dunlop-style wire wheels…and to be honest, we should be glad there are still THAT many!

1 Like

David is spot on

Let’s see the wheel

Looks sooooo good it looks fake!

Maybe it rolls like a carpet or all the spokes fall off?

Stay tuned but I see a visual improvement!

Gtjoey1314

So am I understanding that MWS is the current “dunlop” manufacturer, albeit under the new name?

and are the MWS spokes a chrome plated stainless? the one thing I have always had against the Daytons is the stainless spokes and the chrome hub. The spokes always seem a bit blue or off from the chrome. At least the ones I have seen in person. I thought I saw someplace that Dayton now offers a chrome spoke version too. I wonder, are they stainless underneath?

I am still riding on my original S2 wheels. they only have 34K miles, but the chrome on a few is looking bad. And last time I had tires mounted two of the rims could use truing up so they end up being rear only wheels. And no point sending them off for that as I really just need new wheels all around.

I do like the look of the MWS from the pictures, but something that does stand out is the Spoke design, your MWS spokes are a larger diameter at the hub, then they taper down to a narrower diameter for the rest of the spoke. My original 69 wheels have a uniform diameter spoke.
Is that a Series one thing, or an MWS design?

Alright, scratch that, just looked at mine, there is a taper as well… they are .210 at the hub and .175 the rest of the way. It just looked more pronounced on the MWS

Bob F

I would say they are a HAIR thicker all the way…MY OLD DAYTONS, were great.
My last 4 , last year the polished spoke almost had a goldish tint to them and the lip of the rim seemed, THIN.
GTJOEY1314

It’s my understanding they took over the old Dunlop factory in India.

I’m not sure… I heard the old issues of quality 10 years ago as well
Also my last Dayton’s the tire lip stick out and was thinner than my old ones
We shall see
Gtjoey1314

Have a read of this website http://www.mossmotoring.com/jag-wires/
Tony

The author of that article is my friend, who I mentioned near the beginning of this thread.

The ‘Dunlop’ wheels he’s referring to are MWS wheels.

Sorry Ben I did not realise that was who you were referring to, I posted more to cover the point about the lacing and extra spokes, related to the lateral forces
Tony

No worries, I didn’t expect anyone to connect the dots, as I never mentioned Kelvin’s name.

I didn’t realize he had written this article, but as I mentioned before, he’s become a strong proponent of MWS wheels with all the improvements they’ve made in the last few years.

Your article confirmed what I received in a call today
They polish the spokes THEN plate them!
Guys it looks wonderful!
My Daytons from only last year the spokes are polished it looks off with a bronze tint
Like there dirty besides to me the overall quality
Good job guys!
Gtjoey1314