Decreasing Displacement

This is all purely hypothetical, and I may have a fundamental misunderstanding of things but here goes. If the main limitation of using an HE engine for a race build is the exhaust valve shrouding and lack of high rpm breathing could one not reduce the displacement of the engine to a point where the valve flows the ideal amount or close to it?

If you did this by destroking the engine and making it more oversquare could it not pull more rpm and flow while doing it? I was reading about Burrows v12 parts and he goes with a 5.0L, I believe his stuff is for a flat head but would this not still work?

What youā€™re talking about is taking a poor-performing 5.3 engine and making a good-performing 4.0 out of it. Itā€™d still have less power than the 5.3, but itā€™d look good for a 4.0. Of course, itā€™d be the heaviest 4.0 ever.

1 Like

Yes, exactly. But is there a cross over between performance and size where you could extract the same or similar power with greater tune per litre

maybe my thinking is better explained as: we know stock cylinder he heads flow ā€œXā€ air max, what is the smallest cylinder size necessary to get that amount of fuel in and is that volumetric efficiency possible

1 Like

Good question, but youā€˜d still need to pump the same volume for a given power output so I think Kirbert is absolutely right, youā€˜d have a good 4l instead of a restricted 5.4 and itā€˜ll still be heavyā€¦
And while I donā€™t know about the restriction in detail, that restriction doesnā€™t change (then; would changing the resonance frequency of the intake help as bmw used to do?)

Tune per litre: yes, and more litres might still help
The smallest cylinder size to achieve needed flow is what bothers me: a restriction restricts; it doesnt completely stop flow, just lessens it, so you would do away with a slight reduction in flow by reducing the flow to less than it was before!
I can be just as wrong as you could be, but it seems theoretically logical at least.
David

1 Like

Slightly tangentiallyā€¦

Mickey Thomspon sawed cylinders off SBCs, to create different-sized engines for Bonneville!

Hereā€™s a related example.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvilleother/page%205.html

1 Like

there is NO replacement for displacement, except forced induction, and it still applies to more cubes!

and torque is KING!

what would be more satisfying, a car with 500hp and only 250 torque, or a car with 500 torque and only 250 HP!

you would be amazed!

Reminds me of an article I read in some hotrod magazine when I was in high school. It was titled ā€œThe Almighty Inch.ā€ I thought that was true most of my life. But then I saw there Indy race cars with tiny little engines pumping out incredible power.

Iā€™m way out of my league here though.

2 Likes

Depends on the course: on a short track, my 1200 cc (71 CI) Datsun 1200 would harrass, stay with, and ocassionally pass 400+ hp Murkin cars.

Ill ALWAYS take a better handling, low-horsepressure car over a big honkinā€™ horsepower one!

Now, if itā€™s drags, you win!!

:wink::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

ED you cant drive INdy cars or F 1 around town and stop by the local burger shop(realisticly ).

and Wigs same, if you did you better be careful with the drinks spilling!

1 Like

Watch to the end :slight_smile:

1 Like

Case in pointā€¦:joy::joy::joy:

But you havenā€™t even watched it unless you did it on Fast fast forward :slight_smile:

Did it occurā€¦Ive seen it, before?

:wink:

Ron
Power is actually kingā€¦
Power is essentially about ā€œrate of changeā€.
Imagine pushing a 2 tonne car 10 metres. That is a certain amount of ā€œworkā€ . This is measured in Joules and is a measure of energy. Say it is 100 Joules in this case.
Now if you add TIME to the story then you are talking power. Soā€¦if you push the car 10 metres in 100 seconds then you have put a certain amount of power into the carā€¦100joules in 100 secondsā€¦which is 1joule per secondā€¦which is 1 wattā€¦1joule/second= 1 watt
Is you were asked to move the car 10 metres in 10 secondsā€¦then you instinctively know that you are going to need ā€¦say two more pushers.
So when you get to the 10 metres you have used 3x100joules in 10 secondsā€¦which is 3joules/second which is 3 watts!!
You need 3 times the power to achieve this feat. This is the first calculation an Engineer does ā€¦so you know how much power is required and then you know that Power is Torque X engine revs so you have to have a look at the power delivery curves of the engine you are going to use and select a range of gear ratios and engine speeds to keep maximum power pouring into the drive system. I have never done this for a car drive system but I have for several other electrically driven systems and this is how it is done.
Regards
Matt

Iā€™ve tried to explain that before. Itā€™s a losing cause; too many non-engineers who simply cannot accept that torque is only part of the equation.

As a non-engineer, I, too, quit trying to explain this one.

OK as Carrol Shelby once said " Horsepower sells car, Torque wins races ", course he didnt know much about cars!

and put that mini on a Autocross track with a GoKart and i know who would win!

or put that Mini on the Daytona road course with a stock factory Corvette and see who wins!

Ron, I couldnā€™t drive an Indy car anywhereā€¦ probably couldnā€™t even get it rolling :slight_smile:

1 Like