Delanair Climate Control - Defrost Vents Manual control

Gents,

As discussed in a previous post, my biggest complaint of the Delanair Climate Control is that when you switch it to Defrost the system would go to Full Heat and the fans at Full Speed without any other option available.
This of course is very well when you start the car early in a cold morning and you actually want to Defrost the windscreen.
But on a hot rainy day when the windshield starts to fog up the only option you have is to put the system in Defrost and get a full blast of heat in the face…
And when the screen finally cleans up you turn it off, because you had enough of heat and air, only to find your screen fogged up again!

My plan was to somehow take control of the dash vents.

The Dash Vents are controlled by a mechanical vacuum valve mounted at the selector switch.
When in Defrost Mode the valve cuts the vacuum at the foot-well vents and the dash vents at the same time, the foot-well vents close and the dash vents open.
Unfortunately, being a mechanical vacuum valve directly connected to the Mode Switch, there is not an easy way of modifying it.
So, I needed to control the vacuum going to the Dash Vents.

I happened to have a electric vacuum valve in my drawer, the one used by the 45sec timer to cut the ignition vacuum in the V12. It’s a three way valve, perfect for the job.
I added a small air filter at the relief port and I’ve mounted it on left side lower console, under the handbrake, where one of the cable ties attaches. There was just enough space.
One port (NO) goes to vacuum, one at the dash vent’s vacuum actuator and one is relief (NC)
The valve is controlled with a switch at the center console.

With this modification I can now control the Dash Vents regardless of the position of the Mode Switch, i.e. there will be some air flow, if wanted, also in normal operation.
In Defrost Mode the system will behave as intended regardless of the position of the electric switch.
The modification is also completely reversible.

Best,
Aristides

1 Like

Very clever. Thank you for sharing.

David

Aristides,

Very clever indeed. I have a quick question for clarification. It is my understanding that Green vacuum lines control Lower heat flaps and Defrost flaps off the mode control valve. Black vacuum line from the servo controls the center dash flap.

When you switch to defrost…the 27k resistor in the sensing line causes the servo to move to full heat…thus opening the water valve and closing the center dash flap.

I’m not quite following how your breaking the green lower heat flap vacuum line solves anything with the center flaps? Are you simply bleeding the rest of the system except for the Defrost flaps?

I offer a manual control which fits in the ashtray…bypassing the amplifier and sensing circuit. It functions by allowing the user to manually place the climate control in any position desired…and then by switching to defrost…have heat or cool out of the defrost flaps.

Cheers

Gary

In principle, Aristides; the system was built with a 10% ‘bleed’ with the defrost vents closed. However, that is certainly not always enough for sustained demisting- so your modification has merit…

However; the air temp is still controlled through the AC amp to whatever temp it sees fit - including the side windows vent temps. And of course; for effective demisting; a functioning ‘refrigerator’ is required…

Extremes are difficult…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Yes indeed.

The green line shown in my first picture goes up and then splits to the Left and Right Screen Actuators.
So I am simply bleeding these two.
No interference with the center vent.