Deleting the headlamp was/wipe diodes/relay

s3 v12 VDP '89 Canadian spec I rewired for elec fans and want to remove the useless cursed pektron and headlamp w/w relay. None of the schematics for xjs and s3 v12 (and xj6 with headlamp w/w) show my blue white spiral tracer that runs to the inner headlamps .As oem wiring this ran to terminal 3 on the diode pack and is hot with key on/lights off, however, with testing the diodes it appears the 1-3 terminals conduct in the same direction as the 2+5-4 terminals. This cannot be right since the LGU provides +V to the screen washer pump with the ground from the stalk switch with w/w relay removed.

Gregory? Are there different wirings though the headlamp w/w diodes+w/w relay to accommodate Canadian running lights?

I realize just unplugging the motors/headlamp wash pumps would work but I want to delete the pektron and unnecessary relay (actually I used it for one of my fans).
Digby

hi, here maybe this will help

Probably not, Mark - it doesn’t show the rather complicated headlamp washer wiring…

I did not reply to the original post as I was uncertain whether he wanted to rewire to make the headlamp wipers work without the relay - or simply remove the entire finction…:slight_smile:

But it would be nice to know if he found a solution…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Frank, now that you’ve pointed out the diagram isn’t going to be much help, I now see why. the wipers fig 13.1 are the windscreen wipers. and that leg of the diagram is the accessory stalk. I guess I should pay closer attention. too much coffee today :confused:

Sorry, my bad.

Frank,
I did in fact solve the problem by splicing and bypassing the diode pack and relay but then noticed headlamp problems (RH high/low beams ok, LH no low/high but flash ok). I was worried the headlamp UW/S and UR to the diode pack which I cut were somehow wired to bypass the fuse. The headlamp problem was actually traced to the crappy “sleeve-type” bullet connectors under the fusebox. Cleaned bullets, replaced female sleeves and all is well without the relay and diode pack.

BTW the headlamp w/w wipers removed, motors abandoned in place, headlamp wash reservoir bypassed and U and LG hot wires to wiper motors cut and left in place.

That is a fair solution - it is very difficult to keep the headlamp wipers in working order. Exposed as they are, parts tend to succumb to the elements, requiring constant attention, with intricate fault-finding - and spares not easily acquired. Besides, even when mine were in working order, they were not very effective on rural unsealed backroads, and unnecessary on ‘normal’ roads. I considered replacing with high pressure jets, but found that avoiding such roads in inclement weather was an easier solution…:slight_smile:

But giving up was a blow to my pride…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)