Determining Nikasil Upgrade

Pete and I go back to the beginning with the x300…
Ford SAVED JAGUAR, If not for Ford they would not exist today in any form.
In the 1980’s Americans wanted V8 everything, Jaguars largest market and Jag was always pressed but did not have the cash flow.
Two of my closest friends were part of the reconstruction in the early 1990’s .
Their first report after review of Jaguar and Aston…BURN THE DAMN BUILDINGS DOWN and start all over.
Yes they had years of the xj40 as a base , BUT that was no bargain as the WORST warranty car Jaguar EVER created.
Why the x300 was the best of both worlds…
The dash, wheels AJ16 MOTOR HIT THE PERFECT PEAK USING THE LAST OF OLD SCHOOL.
When the v8 came which we owned 3 from new, is when Ford went too far in the parts bin and CUT BACK to streamline costs.
This is all old news today and I would never pass up a real clean x300 for a weekend car, but the x308 I would go through with a fine tooth comb TODAY.
Under warranty not so much, remember, this is the first Jags like all other makers, 3 years and THROW IT AWAY.
The design was soooooo soothing though.
Sorry for the British accent. :slight_smile:
Pete and I like to banter in a good way as always and never personal!
GTJOEY1314
X300/X308 OWNED
3 1995/1996/1997 XJ6/ XJR /XJ12! short wheel base.
1999/2001/2002 VDP/v8 /Long wheel base…and other but I forgot.
Most above were NEW .
Also if I can find it, I drove a PROTOTYPE XJ40 V12 that was destined for the new x300 v12. I had no grey hair…hopefully I can post it soon.

Don’t post it - leave it where it is Joey. It looks better on you than me.

Xo
Can you believe it’s 24 years ago!
It was a great time for Jaguar and it’s owners
Mike Dale had much to do with it as well as Karen Miller, Mike Cook and others
Gtjoey1314

The milky dash was only a batch problem around 2001

The first XJR in New York!
Note early NO Glove box…
Lovely pictures of my 1995 xj6 brand new
It was so rich to look at and drive
That black car did close to 150,000 miles never garaged and ran flawless till 2006 as I traded for trucks with big sons and annAston Martin Vanquish!
Gtjoey
I was young once…

Joey, did your XJR have burl walnut veneer and polished stainless grille surround? I’m betting it did. W

Gee thanks My XJR is just coming up100,000 miles:(

Pete, At first they were a shadow greyish wood dash for a sport look to compete with BMW.
They then realized Jag owners loved the wood.
My 96 XJR was Deep blue exterior with white seats, cream top dash and coffee side insert , half wooden steering wheel option .
The grill inserts were the wire mesh, the surround was painted.
Don’t forget 1996 they painted the xj6 veins in the grille black for the bmw look.
It put a Bentley to shame!
The wheels became a bit dated but overall, it looked fabulous.
I had at least 5 1995 to 1997 Jag saloons , my 1995 xj12 was black on black SHORT WHEELBASE.
It was the ultimate but my 95 xj6 was bullet proof for 150,000 miles.

Robin, keep changing ALL the fluids, even the sealed transmission, hopefully you will get more.
Including BRAKE FLUID and Antifreeze.
Good luck
gtjoey1314

I’m sure I will even with the treatment I give it.
I’m off to do a Targa Tour later this month ( https://targa.nz/) 440 klm of closed roads and 700klms touring over 3 days.
I’m in the limited to 130klm group as an official car, I also do classic trials (time trials on race tracks) where the girl gets to exercise much more than our nanny state allows on the open road. So brake pad changes are de-rigour as are fluid changes, timing chain tensioners were done prior to my purchase of the car. I have just R&R the front shock bushes and sway bar links, had to knock out the lower bush on the sway bar link and insert a steel sleeve to keep me on the road until my replacements arrive from Rockauto.

I know what the spec was (I had two 3 1994s and a 95 and a 97 before my 99 SV8)

I asked because the brightwork and what looks like normal suspension mark it out as a US car. I was travelling to the USA a lot in those days and the XJR over here was normally a very different look to the Rest of World.

RoW stuck with the sporty theme by dechroming the exterior except bumper blades and by using the dark maple wood and part black interior and instrument pod. Everywhere else got lowered sport suspension for the XJR6, 4.0 and 3.2 XJ Sport models. I saw some XJRs in the US with basically Sovereign interior and normal touring suspension

Correct that was the SPORT MODEL option, but the dealers used to swap from the parts bin,it was a great time for Jag…
Everyone wanted the xjr grill on the xj6
It was a great look.
gtjoey1314