Did I Insult the Car?

List:
In anticipation of marketing the 71 XJ6, I investigated an apparent inability to move the car, either forward or backward from its current location.

I jacked each front wheel off the ground and was able to rotate both wheels in either direction. However, with a rear wheel off the ground, neither one would turn. However, both wheels would move a few degrees either clockwise or counter-clockwise, and at the end of its travel, appear to “bounce” off an impediment. I think, but am not certain, that I have experienced this same feeling when attempting to turn the rear wheels when the transmission is in neutral.

The gear shift in the cabin is diffenitely in neutral.

Could I have done something to the gear shaft when turning the engine crankshaft forward and backward?

Thanks
Lou

Lou,

sounds like the parking pawl is engaged. Check the shifter and the contacts it makes. Others will know more about that.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Sounds like a Powr-lok diff, Lou - have you tried with both rear wheels off the ground…?

When you say ‘apparent inability to move the car’, I suppose you are pushing rather than using the engine. Since wheels are moving, it is not binding brakes. Jochen’s suggestion of parking pawl is valid, it locks the propeller shaft at the gearbox. Look at the selector lever at the gearbox - to see if it moving when the gear lever is moved. With both rear wheels off the ground, the diff is free to turn, with or without Powr-Lok or parking pawl - unless the diff itself is locked up…

With an automatic; the car can be moved with the gear lever in any position but ‘P’…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Sounds to me that this is a manual car?

So, it is the rear wheels only that prevent the car from moving?

If so, disconnect the drive shaft at the differential. If the issue remains, it is most likely a brake issue. Service brake caliper or the park brake pads are not free.

And, of course, if it moves, it is up front, pawl is the suspect…

Carl