Difference between DG 250 and DG 150 auto transmission

Dear all,
My MK2 has a DG250 auto. By chance I aquired a DG150 supposed to come from a S-Type as a spare. Does anybody know the technical difference between DG 250 and DG150? Dimensionswise they seem to be identical and the DG150 seem to have as well the intermediate speed hold like the 250.

Annother thing is that my 250 is leaking extensive (not unknown for the thing). As it is working perfect outerwise I do not wnat to disturb anything. Has sombody done as minimal change of seal (like Sump/Speedhold/Brakeswitch only) with some positive result or is a complete strip the only remedy?

Thanks for all input

Peter

Never heard of a DG150 in ‘S’ types.

Hi Robin,
same like me but the seller claims to have it taken from an S-Type. Maybe this had not been the original unit and was an earlier replacement. I know for sure that Mercedes did use the DG150M in its 300 Adenauer, perhaps this kind of unit had been used in the donor S-Type as an exchange long before.

Cheking more in detail: Possibly the Intermediate speedhold part is missing at the 150 ? There is something but not sure if it is what I expect to be.
Best
Peter

they had DG150 in Rovers and Studebakers according to my quick Google search

I dont think they came in S-types

Indeed not from an S-type the came with DG250 and later boxes.
Anyway the difference is that the DG150 always starts in 2e gear, 1e gear is only by hand.
It never shifts as it starts in 2e and up to speed the direct drive clutch is engaged.
Also DG150 does not has a intermediate speed hold.

Hi Peter Jan,

thank you - that was the info I was looking for.
So the DG150 deosn’t make sense to overhaul as it cannot used in the MK2 in a sensible way.

I will keep it on stock - if somebody is looking for a DG150 to overhaul I would consider to sell it.
But please mind: I’m living in Germany, so non EU shipment would produce prohibitive cost.

Best
Peter