Different exhaust manifold heat shield

Made a shield which is easy to remove and “breathes”, so as to not trap heat. Mounts to frame rail, so must be at an angle to parallel engine.

Its has style.!!! Does the perforated metal deflect enough heat. Assuming you are keeping your bonnet at a cooler temp.

I don’t know. My thinking was that you couldn’t put enough mass in there to act as a sink, so reflection seemed the best option. It does seem to work, but with the Cool cat radiator, cleaned out block and head and Cool cat fan, it hasn’t got that hot yet. It didn’t get real hot a single day in Wisconsin this year, so that means no real test - not that I want a “test”. I liked the stainless one that someone sold for a while, but this light weight one I made comes off with 3 stainless screws.

Applied gold colored heat reflective material on the underside of bonnet just over the exhaust
I have headers also . top side of bonnet went from 140 degrees after a drive down to 85 degrees. Still open the bonnet up after a drive to let the heat out. I would think that is easier on every component in the engine bay

There ya go. Seems like reflection works well. Nothing like actual data.

Could you define/explaine/brand name “gold colored heat reflective material” It sounds like a good option for many uses.

Materials are from jegs. Gold and silver reflective heat barrier. It’s been on for a season now and it is not peeling. Easy to apply stick the top on first and let the material hang. Then just work your way forward. I cut it too shape first . louvers were a bit more intricate . added the silver over the gold to cover a larger area.

2 Likes

Thanks I will check it out.