Difficult to ‘find’ where to place the shifter when shifting

I have a 67 eType that shifts nicely when you find where to shift it. You have to try multiple times in all gears to find where it nicely slides in. Can anyone tell me what may be going on? Is there a typical problem? Or an adjustment? Thanks!

Check your gear shift connection to the shaft coming out of the gearbox. Not sure what transmission you have. Others will want to know to help you out.

If yours is the Jaguar 4 speed, it will take a while to get used to. I have that unit in my ‘66 3.8s and gears are real close - take your time shifting and concentrate.
10 yrs on and I still get at least one crunch per drive.

The shift lever connects to the shifter linkage through a rubber bushing. When this bushing disintegrates everything gets pretty sloppy. It may be time to pull the cover and have a look at the linkage.

1 Like

Make sure your clutch is adjusted properly and fully disengaging.
If there’s no grinding when going into reverse.

See this diagram.

57 and 59 are rubber bushes supporting the gear lever in the selector.

43 and 49 are fibre bushes that locate the selector into the pivot jaw, and the pivot jaw into the gearbox lid.

In addition, 50 and 44 (two of each) are fibre washers that control slop the mechanism.

You can also see that the mechanism is held together with self locking nuts (45 and 53) which tighten onto special Thackery spring washers (51 and 46) to provide control over the stiffness of the shift.

Remove the console between the seats and the tunnel cover.

Put the gearbox in neutral and remove the top.

Replace all the fibre and rubber components.

SNGB sell the fibre and washers as a kit. The rubber bushes are available separately.

Replace the top. You can either buy a new gasket or just use silicone.

This should remove all unwanted slop from your box.

2 Likes

This recent string might be helpful. I mention the shift pawl in post #11

Gear Shift Lever Overhaul and Lubrication Question - E-Type - Jag-lovers Forums