Disable Power Steering?

Thanks all. Really gave me a lot to read up on.

When I bought my series 2 etype years ago the belt was missing. The guy I bought it from said it didn’t have PS. It drove just fine. After a few months I realized it was missing the belt, went and got another and it drove even better at slow speeds. Didnt notice a difference at high speeds.

Blockquote[quote=“MichaelMoore, post:17, topic:359126, full:true”]

You might take a look at this electric power steering conversion kit.http://www.ezpowersteering.nl/type/161/74/Jaguar_E-Type_Series_1.html
[/quote]

I have this unit in my car and love it! I was looking for PS on my 67 OTS due to 205/70/15 tires, a very upgraded suspension and a smaller wheel. The assist is fully adjustable either by turning a knob or a speed sensitive unit (which I don’t have). One of my friends drove the car and immediately ordered it for his 140. Since it is electric, the install goes under the dash as a replacement column. No hydraulics, hoses, leaks etc.

I did have an issue of sloppy steering, but found out that my UPRATED rack mounts had started to separate, I replaced them with solid mounts and never looked back.

Mike

Mike, did you install that yourself? Our friend Karen Levitt wants to drive her 140 DHC once we get it sorted, Two reversible mods suggested to make it much more driver friendly are power brakes and power steering, Did you install this yourself? Any difficulties?

Mike, did you install that yourself? Our friend Karen Levitt wants to drive her 140 DHC once we get it sorted, Two reversible mods suggested to make it much more driver friendly are power brakes and power steering, Did you install this yourself? Any difficulties?
[/quote]

I did it myself in about 4 hours. Now that I know what I’m doing, it could probably be done in less. Really just requires total removal of the steering column and mount inside the car. I installed a marine fuse box where the old voltage regulator went so i could keep all the high current fuses outside (PS, HD fan, AC, etc.). The “brain” is velcro’d to the fire wall behind the tach. I have a friend who I believe put PB into a 140. Another one is converting his to disk brakes and my old 5" wire wheels.

Let me know when you would like a test drive! Probably the “secret” to installing it is to pull out the tach and speedometer. Provides easier access to the bolts and wiring.

Michael,

How does the genny keep up with the additional load? I imagine that city traffic on a hot day doesn’t leave much electrical headroom.

Aftermarket 90 AMP alternator. Everything works great. Replaced the ammeter with a voltmeter.

With an aftermarket heavy duty fan and the heavy duty alternator, I can sit in DC traffic with the top down and the AC blowing cold.

1 Like

That was the other suggestion: power brakes and disc brakes along with power steering,