Disposing of Old Gasoline

Continuing the discussion from How to deal with old gasoline?:

Art: Thank you for your response regarding disposing five year old gasoline. When I am next in the garage (which is at a remote location) I will look under the back fenders to determine where the drain line is located. I assume they are right under the fender.

Fortunately, I have an empty gas tank from another XJ6 of the same year. So I can easily determine the location of the drain and what is needed to open it. The part came from an abandoned XJ6 that I purchased a number of years ago for spare parts. Unfortunately, I had to dispose of that car when my storage space was needed for other use. But I saved many, many parts from that car, including an engine. Ironically, I have not used any of that parts in the interim. So you can imagine my stock of spare parts.
Regards, Lou

The drain plug takes two forms.

Later ones have a 9/16" bolt that usually works fine to just drain fuel

I am not sure early S1 had that though, in which case, the whole drain plug comes out with a 3/4" fitting.

Sometimes the drain plug can be very tight, its easy to strip the fitting which is brass

Mine is late 1969.

Lou, you should take your workshop manual and read it front to back some day. It’ll make life much easier for you if you work on your cars, and clears the fog, life will be much easier for you.
You can’t miss the drain but you can mess up if you manage to remove the large plug completely (you have to loosen it a turn or so) while the tank is still full. You should drive until empty before you attempt it, your five year old fuel will hopefully be alright.