Distance between gauges and fuse panel

Does anyone know what the depth is between the back of the dash gauges and the firewall where the fuse panel sits. Trying to figure out how much distance I have to work with as I customize my new panel with relays, flashers, etc. Thanks

Close the gauge panel. Put a piece of tape vertically at the edge of the panel. Lower the panel and measure the distance from the tape to the bulkhead. Measure the thickness of the panel and gauge. Subtract that from your first measurement.

That’s about impossible without specifying a certain point to measure - there’s an air duct, gauge mounting threaded rods, wires, a flasher relay etc. Maybe borrow a LIDAR set up your dentist uses to do a 3d map of your mouth?

1 Like

No measurement, but here’s a photo of mine (S2) with the dash top off and the panel closed (no defroster hoses in place):

Thanks. That’s what I was looking for.

He asked about back of gauge to firewall.

I just happened to have the dash top off of my S1 this evening, so I went and measured. I get 1.5” from the back of the bolt that locks the gauge clips in place to the fuses. However, the back of the gauge illumination bulbs and their wires takes up a little more room, so I see about 1.0 to 1.25” of usable free space across most of the panel.

2 Likes

you members are fantastic.

My motivation for the measurement was fitting a modern relayed / blade fused panel behind the gauges. It’s 3" deep w/ fuses. I’m wiring it pretty much like the Bob skelley diagram that was addressed on the forum awhile back.

I know you don’t want to do what I did, which was put relays (“mini” style) in a gang under the hood, but one idiot warning…
I also had relays sort of behind the dash, in addition to the 5 under the hood. Well, when it came time to put the car together I found the relays fit, but I wouldn’t be able to change them. Had to redo a bit of wiring at a time I thought I was done. Think ahead.

Mini compared to large and relay box.