Distrib cap inside center carbon broke

never saw this before…and lucky we noticed it: …in a brand new dizzy cap (screw on terminal type) the center carbon in the distributor cap broke…way up internally in the spring, where the tiny lip is inside where that lip keeps the carbon plug in the tiny spring…no idea how this broke, …but we spotted it…can you imagine the wild goose chase we’d have been on to figure why no start…
Can…the center spring with its captive carbon be removed from an old used cap…and put into the new one…??
In looking at a few new caps…I notice the exposed lenght of the carbon is different…some protrude a mm or 2 more. I suppose at some point, too short exposed may not provide contact with the rotor center. ???
comments?
New cap on the way…
Nick

Hi Nick…its not uncommon…iv heard of it quite a few times either center carbon fallen out or broken…my go to place now for dizzy caps and rotor arms and all things distributor is Lucas distributor 400135, Lucas distributor 418888, Lucas distributor 54417214, Lucas distributor GDC101, Lucas distributor 415708, Lucas distributor 417178, 6 cylinder distributor cap, 54417212, 418861, DM6A, DMBZ6A, 400181, DJ6A, DK6A Lucas distributor caps, Reconditioned Lucas distributors, rebuilt Lucas distributors, recurved Lucas distributors from Distributor Doctor very well known in the UK fo supplying top quality parts…Steve

It’s just a carbon cylinder with a groove machined near the top end, which then screws into a coil spring. The exposed length would depend on how much the coil spring has been stretched. You can break out what’s left of the broken one and you should be able to transfer one from another cap.

1 Like