Distributor advance curve with SU versus Stromberg carbs

Dennis,

You are probably in a similar situation to me as far as the distributor is concerned (though I still have the Strombergs). I have the 41207 model distributor which has no vacuum advance unit. Later Series 2s had another model which incorporated a vacuum retard unit in a further attempt to reduce emissions. Since the carburetion and ignition timing of the engine are linked, any change to the carburetion is likely to require some changes to the ignition timing to remain optimal. A lot has been written on this topic, but I can do no better than to refer you to this great source of information:

It includes an Excel spreadsheet of the advance profiles of all generations of distributor fitted to the E-Types. I have just (finally) given way and conceded that maybe I don’t want to spend any more time messing about with my original worn distributor - there is a new 123 Tune-2 (Bluetooth controlled) sitting in it’s packaging on the driver’s seat waiting to be installed. I will need to decide whether I want to connect up the vacuum advance (not available on my original distributor) to my Strombergs, as this could affect how much centrifugal advance I program in. In your case, if you stick with the original distributor you will need to decide on whether you want to add a vacuum advance capsule, and what advance curve you want to implement. Then acquire the appropriate weights (which control the maximum centrifugal advance) and springs (which control the rate of advance with Revs). Good luck, and please report back on how it goes…

-David