Distributor Cap MK4 3.5 litre

Does anybody know where you can get a distributor cap for a mk4 3.5 litre? It is a side entry cap. Is there another compatible cap.

Hi,

They are getting more difficult (and expensive) but are available. I’d check with Worcester Classic Spares and SNGB.

If yours is RHD you could use top entry caps as well, but on LHD there is limited space, IMO on the MKV it’s pretty much impossible with the steering column on the left with anything but the side entry cap.

Cheers!

1 Like

Is a mk5 cap the same as a mk4?

Hi,

I think so. I have a MKIV engine in my MKV (engine #SL2199 inside car #647194) and all the early type side entry caps have fitted my dizzy.

Cheers!

1 Like

Try The Distributor Doctor in the UK.

http://www.distributordoctor.com/distributor_caps.htm

1 Like

Welcome Brenton.
Yes, the side entry cap is the same for all the 6 cyl pushrod engines and even early XK engines up to about 1952 when they went to the top entry cap.
PICT0009

2 Likes

Hello Brenton

SNG have side entry caps that are around 200 pounds, I bought a top entry aftermarket cap part # DDB161/B for around 30 pounds as a insurance policy should I need to ever check my side entry one. Looking on their website they still have them but slightly different to mine. Check that it will suit your distributor before buying, Mk1V, V, & early 120 should all be the same cap.

Regards Peter

1 Like

Correct, but be aware if you have a LHD car that the top entry cap has a clearance problem with the steering column.

2 Likes