Distributor from 69 4.2 in 81 xj 6 block

I’m swapping 69 e type engine with 81 xj 6 engine

Based on info my distributor should work in xj 6 engine block

Seems that my non vac advance distributor when installed doesn’t go all the way in like in the 69 block

There is about 1/4 inch gap

None of the literature indicates this

I’ve used a spacer to secure the dist to engine block using securing bolt and tighted the adjustment ring as well

The dist doesn’t move but there is the gap

Any issues with this?

I would suggest the offset drive is not engaged, I use an XJ block, and the Lucas, Mallory, and 123 all fit perfectly…

recently swapped 69 and 76 dizzys back & forth, its extremely easy to bolt them up and not be engaged, the engine will turn over and not start, try to spin the rotor, it should move only a little

when I did mine, the hold down clamp also has to be swapped to fit

Gently push the body of the distributor body down into the block while spinning the rotor. The locating dog (male) on the bottom can only go in one position on the shaft (female). The wrong cork gasket between the dist. & block can cause engagement issues. Try it w/o the gasket or clamps to see where the rotor wants to be when properly engaged, then remove the dist. & reinstall with gasket & clamp.

What I really wanted to mention is that the '69 dist. is a slow advance curve, and does not aid low to mid rpm torque. There are better performance choices.

David mentioned the slow advanced curve. My question would be is the curve the same in both cars? If not even though the distributor fits it may not give you the response you need.