Distributor Pick Up Coils - Current Aftermarket Defects

As someone who has recently purchased a new distributor pickup coil for my Lucas system (1988 XJS V12), there was some confusion because the actual plug looks like it will reverse the polarity to the ignition amp (see photo). I think there is only one pick up coil available right now, it has the blue plugs. Not sure who the manufacturer is (possibly Eurospare?)

Hooked it up as is, and my engine idles rather nice. Timing was set to 18 BTDC at 3000 rpm, no vacuum advance.

Today I tried reversing the polarity. It idled rather poorly, and if I tried to rev, it knocked pretty bad. So timing was too advanced. As I retarded the timing, the idle got worse and worse until it couldn’t hold an idle any longer, and actually stalled.

So my conclusion is that the polarity is CORRECT, but the manufacturer got the red/black wire colors reversed and imprinted “+” on the wrong side of the plug.

Another defect, the pick up coil’s metal plate that screws into the distributor is not only flimsy metal, but it does not perfectly line up! So I transferred the guts (magnet, wires, etc) over to my original metal plate which is much thicker metal and fits perfectly.

Greg I feel your pain………
My E Type parts are even worse.
I have a 3 way relay on a bracket, the bracket is so thin its droops.
I don’t get it.
gtjoey1314