Distributor-rotor cables position

Aye, the car runs!!! So many other guys would swap NOW!!! Can’t get theirs started…

I like the idea of the asymetrical drive dog. Install it right, and all is well forever more. N 180 out issues.

My flat head Fords V8’s were set up that way.

Now older SBC’s involved getting the drive into the slot and also the helical OP drive to mesh at the same time. Not a straight drop in, but a twisting motion to get it. 180 out, easy to do…

Stab and stab or just move the wires!!!

1 Like

A PO did the same thing to my engine. Rotor arm points to number 1 when marks on crank line up TDC. I just strobe it on number 1 and it works fine.

The trick is, Carl; on a four stroke engine the TDC gives two options of which cylinder is ready to fire - and select the ‘correct’ one is 50/50 unless efforts are made to identify it.

I assumed the PO got the ‘wrong’ one - and chose the easy option of rotating the dist 180 deg, instead of the more cumbersome method of moving the plug wires 3 steps (xk). However, to make sure of all contingencies; I should have advised that the rotor position first be noted - then the same plug lead be put in there after the 180 deg dist rotation…:slight_smile:

Of course, whenever the dist is turned; the ign timing should be checked…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)