Distributor Rotors

Had some problems with car cutting out, etc. Replaced everything with new spares on hand…plugs, points, condenser, etc, etc. Then I noticed, accidentally, that the"nub" in my replacement rotor, attached to the center distributor post,had broken off, and affected timing obviously. Both the original and my purchased spare had the broken “nub” which locks it in place, broken off. Any suggestions as to where to get a quality rotor appreciated. I see comments regarding “Red” ones but cannot find any ? Thanks

SNG carries them, IIRC.

Some of the “usual’s” carry them but the Distribuitor Doctor manufactures them. He also carries high quality condensers and points.

Marco

One small word of warning. Red is not necessarily “good”. I bought one a while ago from one of the usuals after all the talk of the black ones having too much lamp black which made them conducting - as I recall it was pretty pricy too. When I decided to fit it on the last Oil Leak I found there was no way it was going to go on the post. If it had ever gone on, it would have been impossible to remove…

-David

I’ve had: the brown ones with rivets; the odd shaped black ones that won’t go over the post; and the rivet free red ones - all failures. The best I have found come from the Distributor Doctot in England. They’re red and have “DD” punched into the brass. Paul

Agree about Distributor Doctor - his rotor arms are superb. Buy direct though and make sure the arm has DD embossed in the brass. Seems someone decided to copy DD and make crap ones in red! http://www.distributordoctor.com/

David

I’ve had good results with NOS Lucas rotors - but they are hard to find.

I have one here that is possibly surplus to my needs if you want it:

Free, just pay postage.

It seems to have a lot of shelf wear but looking at the business end I suspect it may be new.

PM me with an address if you want it. Sorry, I can’t make this offer to anyone else - have just the one.

1 Like

I too am another one that recently had a rotor from one of the usual’s start acting up due to the arm being loose on the plastic piece. I put an old one back in during testing that solved the problem. I planned to get a new one next time I ordered some parts but now guess I should leave the old one in place as long as I can

David
68 E-type FHC

worth mentioning that on Distributor Doctor website are links to descriptions of products and the problems in some “re-mfg” products . Have a look. A bad rotor, or bad cap, or capacitor can be a difficult wild goose chase to diagnose. Nick

Thanks, I will definitely do that…