Do wire wheels need inner tubes?

I have put 3 sets of tires on my 69, mostly due to age rather than mileage or wear. I buy the ‘rim bands’ and put new ones in each time. and then put in new tubes. The rim bands protect the tubes from the spoke ends. I get some loss of pressure, but generally when the weather/temp changes… ie, stored over winter and checked in the spring… maybe 3 lbs difference. Here is an example by a supplier:

Ditto on my MWS wheels. (only two years, not nine)

Shouldn’t these have a rubber ring over all spoke ends?

Bought new Daytons a few years back, had to reseal all four, called the factory, they said to use windshield grade silicon to reseal… did that, still have a couple that need resealing… some way to protect the bead seal from being impacted by tire installation would be good… now I just check tire pressure everytime I drive.
Don

Oh come on Paul how can you say that? You can even make a boat out of it, don’t you watch the commercials? :rofl:

1 Like

Like for most coatings, caulks etc., preparation is critical. Make sure you prrovide a substrate your sealant of choice can stick to.

It’s not Franks red hot and don’t believe everything you see on TV
I wouldn’t put that … on my expensive wire wheels just use a tube and drive with confidence

The blowout tire looks like my current spare, a Michelin “red-line,” popular years ago. Back when date codes were not required. My guess is old age created the failure of your tire. The Michelin red lines were on my E-type when purchased in 1988, and I still use one as the spare, occasionally. Treading gently.

When mine blew, it was sitting in the corner of the garage with no weight on it. Sounded like a bomb. The wheel hit a metal cabinet that was about three feet away and left a small dent.

You say you’re using a 34+ yr old tire as a spare?
GLWT you’ll know what happened if you should hear an extremely loud noise coming from your boot.
Hopefully it won’t be mounted on your car while running down the road.

2 Likes

Agreed: I will NEVER (again) trust old tires. A friend of mine is missing an eye, and has a metal place in his cheekbone because he did.

You are a brave soul. Not for putting your life, and that of those unlucky enough to share the road with you, at dire risk, but for openly admitting to what many others do, or have done in the past. We all say, “don’t worry, I know it isn’t safe so I won’t ever install it”, but we also all know that if we get a flat we’ll talk ourselves into fitting it “just to get us home”… Please replace it.

2 Likes

Echoing: tires, including especially the spare, are the cheapest insurance we can use on a daily basis on our vehicles.

1 Like

Has anyone seen a battery blow up I have and 4 of us where standing over it 2 minutes before

1 Like

I’ve seen the aftermath of one caused by someone who decided the battery was a convenient place to lay a combination wrench.

Twice… while I was standing over it.

:confounded:

Yes I have. It is like a bomb! Huge explosion and many pieces of the battery case and acid everywhere. I was not near it and the hood was shut, but when the starter was hit, it went blooey! The battery had gone dry due to over charging and created a lot of H2 gas. I would not have liked to be looking at it!!

I did that once with a car battery used for a small airplane tug. The wrench survived but the battery did not. I’ve got a red rubber booty on the positive battery terminal in the Jag.

1 Like

I called the cops to report that a crowd had thrown a large firecracker under my car as i drove by. Later, when i stopped for gas the car wouldn’t start. That’s when i found my battery had exploded. I hope lthe police didn’t detain the crowd for too long!

All I can say is my my Dayton wire wheels are tubeless and leak free after 20 plus years and 20,000 plus miles.

John
70 its