Do you guys think this is worth the buy?

If you REALLY want a Jaguar and you like that model I’d suggest you look at and drive quite a few of them first. Buying a Jaguar without a long test drive and inspection is not a good idea. It’s already been pointed out there is no such thing as a ‘cheap’ Jaguar, that usually means it’s just a money pit somebody is wanting to get shut of.
A well maintained and cared for XJ40 is a fantastic car to own and drive, and just as reliable as any other car, but a neglected one in poor condition can take lots of time and money to put right, even more so if you are not able to do the work yourself and it would most likely put you off Jaguars for life.

3 Likes

i bought this yesterday for $1000 it runs good has no dents and just a smidgen of rust. it only has 45K on it.i will be picking it up today its a VDP do you think it was worth it? i am thinking of driving it for a month or so for enjoyment then selling it for 2K do you think i can get it? hell you cannot even buy an old beater for less then a grand anymore much less a jag.there is one small problem,every once in a while the brakes get soft but then come back perfect. is there a known problem with the brakes on this model?..thanks,tony

It doesn’t look like a VDP to me, more like a Sovereign? Lacking all the tell-tale VDP fluted trim pieces plus no sunroof? Maybe the rear panel badges were replacements? OTOH, maybe the early VDP’s didn’t have the Daimler/VDP fluting …

Larry, in one picture you can see the upper part of the driver seatback and it looks to have the wood drop-down tray. The wood door insert also has the boxwood inlay, another VDP feature. Then again, my non-VDP car door trims have the inlay, but only because I’ve replaced the original non-inlay bits.

Not sure I could live with the hole in the bonnet with the turbo coming through.

Say what???

The original pictures posted of the XJ40 in the car wash.

Mentioned in the text as well:

Gotcha. I usually read posts in mailing list (email) mode so don’t see all the previous posts unless I go to the Forum on the Web. Thanks for clarifying.

Different car we’re discussing …this is the red one with the peeling clearcoat and rusty hood …no Turbo hole …

Yes Mike, I see the boxwood trim and that does probably qualify it somewhat …I guess those early Valeo fishtanks could have been removed and quads fitted -but no fluting/sunroof?? Maybe the early VIN ones weren’t so well outfitted as the later ones?

Well I picked it up this morning it is a Vanden Plas but it’s not a majestic there is a sunroof even the original factory antenna works and goes up and down everything in the car works and it hasn’t had the brake system converted yet so I’m just gonna leave it original the only thing that doesNot work is the cruise control anybody who can help me with that I would appreciate it

1 Like

Haha! GT Joey says it like it is!!! I want this cat to live (if someone has not euthenized it by now), but these are the strangest photos I have seen for any car for sale. I can’t imagine this person getting $1,000 for this, unless parts?

Great car, Tony! I’d need to know more to make the “worth it” assessment as to whether I would buy it or not. Did you buy it? Did you flip it? I don’t think these are easy to sell. I see these cars frequently for sale for ages, although the mileage and it being a VDP is certainly a selling point.