Doing my research, advice and thoughts wanted

Yes, I’m thinking T-5 for the trans.

One difficulty w/BMW engine is the huge front sump.

Greetings All,

Jag V12’s last I knew, pretty easy to come by. BMW’s, have no knowledge.

Ferrari V12’s have the intake in the V. Jag V12 from the carb era have intakes with spider tubes. Now if you could line up either some throttle bodies or Webers in that V, you could achieve that look.

Vette is pretty heavy as they design it knowing the 'glass adds nothing to structural rigidity.

Not precisely true: it does add some, and from the C5-on, got better.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/ask-tadge/3745694-c7-frame-rigidity-vs-competitors.html

1 Like

A Vette weighs 3300 pounds. A Factory Five Type 65 coupe with the same engine, tubular chassis, and fiberglass body, weighs 2400 pounds. I dunno where the Vette puts the extra 900 pounds.

1 Like

Greetings All,

If you have followed the Corvette, the fibreglass body has always been a bone of contention.

Unlike unibody construction, the Corvette’s body adds NOTHING to rigidity. There is steel added to keep body flex from occurring. Sort of reminiscent of the first aluminum bodied 120’s. There were not a lot of weight savings due to having to reinforce the structure to keep the aluminum from rippling in areas.

While GM put the Corvette on a diet, it is still a heavy car, considering its competition. That 'glass body is the reason.

2019 Ferrari 488 GTB weighs 3252

2019 Corvette coupe weighs 3298

And the fiberglass does add rigidity. Has sine 1984. Before that, you are correct.

1 Like

Crash protection, side and rear windows, roof structure, sound deadening, comfort items (like carpet), power mechanism (such as power windows), etc, etc, etc.

2 Likes

I’ll likely go throttle-bodies. Or, if I go with a manifold design, I’ll want to make it look like “they” used mechanical injection similar to the '63-'65 Corvette.

Years back, I stupidly junked two complete Rochester FI setups.

Who knew?

2 Likes

ITB’s is the way to go… just bought 3 sets of BMW TB´s on ebay for $84 :smile:

1 Like

Greetings All,

3644 Lbs according to a variety of sources on the Vette.

Perhaps the ZR1, yeah. I was talking about the base model:

https://www.google.com/search?q=2019+corvette+weight&oq=2019+corvette+weight&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.9704j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Bill, JAGUAR did offer such an engine initially, but it would not pass US emission tests due to the valve pocket being full width of the piston. This required the top ring to be set well down the piston from the crown producing a “dead”
volume area of unburnt fuel between the piston and cylinder wall.

One of the first V12’s I dismantled was one of these, from an Australian delivered V12 E, but it was never covered in the Parts Books as replacement parts were not available.

Mail](https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986) for Windows 10

1 Like

Since this is a build based on a mid 1960s car, such problems don’t make much difference. That’s good news, I think.

I’m still not 100% sold on the Jaguar engine, but it would fit the build very nicely. The BMW V12 seems to have just as many issues as the Jaguar engine, but, so far as I can tell, not near the support.

Bill, compared to the BMW, the JAG has no issues. They are bullet proof, have the capacity to be expanded to more than 7.5L and rev to in excess of 8500rpm.
I have 90mm Stroke cranks together with 95mm Bore Liners that allow capacities of 6.0/6.8 and 7.5L. The first two capacities achievable using standard Jaguar and/or Chev after market components at a realistic cost. Only the 90mm Crank is a high cost item.

1 Like

Hi Norman. Will the std valve train take that rpm or you need uprated valve springs?
To get to that rpm you will most likly have other camshafts?

BR//Tobbe

Have built engines that do 8500rpm+, but definitely require uprated springs. Std. springs will handle 7500rpm.

2 Likes

Roger Bywater once clarified that the V12, dead stock, would do 7500 all day. The problem is the torque converter on the GM400 transmission, which will “balloon” if revved beyond 6500.

Also note that the stock EFI system prevents overrevving by going way rich beyond 6500, killing torque.

1 Like

Interesting: never knew that!

Can that be bypassed/overcome?

1 Like

Was the inside diameter of the ITB 45mm and are you still going turbo? Cheers.