Donations via Paypal

I donated recently via Paypal and it all went through correctly with my email address which is what is recorded with Jag-Lovers. But I do not see the little flag as a patron next to my icon. Why?

Hi John,

Thank you for your kind donation!

The answer lies here:

https://www.jag-lovers.com/contribute-to-jag-lovers/

« We’re eternally grateful to you no matter how you choose to help support Jag-lovers. Please note though: If you decide to support us via purchasing stuff on Zazzle, or donating through PayPal, your experience on the site will be as a non-donor. In other words, in addition to not having the avatar “flair” in the Forums, the “Please support Jag-lovers” flag in the Forums header will remain in place.

We know from experience on the old site that many members do enjoy having some form of recognition of their donor status. The reason we know this is that we had to manually add a flag to each member who contributed, and people would complain if the process took too long. The whole thing was very time consuming and often involved a fair amount of detective work (people would use different email addresses to donate, and not mention their J-l username in the transaction). That’s why we’ve put so much effort into getting the current Patreon system set up, so the process of adding recognition would be fully automatic. Thank you for understanding.»

It’s not a question of not being grateful for donations, rather a question of the administation required to follow it all up manually.

Kind regards,

Nick

2 Likes

We discussed the same situation with my account a year or two ago. I think I understood but now I’m only a guest! How do I change my account over to credit card basis so I’m a more ‘normal’ member. Thanks, John

I’ts John again! I continue to make my donation each month via PayPal and I will continue for many years. You do a fantastic job and I use it every day- often more than once. But I give up on our/your really you to make the best of the Patron issue. Since you thought it was solved I’ve been a Guest some days and a returning member, or member other days. Let’s just forget. Sometimes computers just win. Thanks for your efforts, John

Hi John,

Thank you for your kind words about Jag-lovers!

When you say PayPal, do you literally mean PayPal, or do you mean Patreon? As in; when you donate, do you go to paypal.com or to patreon.com?

If you’re using PayPal, there is no automatic recognition of your donation status, as explained here.

If you’re using Patreon, the process of recognition should be automatic, provided you’ve used the same email address on patreon.com as you used here on Jag-lovers. I just checked on patreon.com, and I couldn’t find your email address there among the patrons.

Also, if you are using PayPal now: If you switch to Patreon instead, you won’t have to remember to donate every month. The Patreon system will automatically take care of it, until you tell it to stop.

Thanks,
Gunnar
(Admin)

I just took a look at Patreon and am totally confused by that site using the link above. Furthermore, I am not happy to join another website for the sole purpose of donating once a year to Jag-Lovers which I use daily. I still advocate for some recognition with a flag or ? when donating via Paypal which I use frequently. My life is complicated enough with out exposing my credit card info to yet another website.

Apologies, and I understand. For future reference, the direct link to the Jag-lovers page on Patreon is this: Jag-lovers Ltd is creating a community web site for Jaguar cars enthusiasts | Patreon

The reason only Patreon donors are recognized with a flair etc. is that Patreon offers a way for other software programs to talk to it. There’s an integration between Patreon and our forum software, making the process of recognizing Patreon donors fully automatic. No manual intervention by our volunteers necessary.

Unfortunately, PayPal doesn’t offer the same. However, you can do what some other PayPal donors have done, which is to add “PayPal donor” (or words to that effect) after your full name in your profile. I.e.:

“John Quilter - PayPal donor”

(Edit: If you’re unsure of how to do this, I can do it for you. Please let me know.)

If some kind of automatic integration with PayPal becomes possible in the future, we’ll be sure to implement it.

Please rest assured that no matter how you contribute to Jag-lovers, we truly appreciate it, and so do all of your fellow Jag-lovers members. Thank you!

1 Like

More questions and comments. Using the Patreon system seems to have no provision for a once a year payment. I would prefer to do this rather then have some charges applied to my credit card each month.
There is a provision on PayPal to use a credit card rather than Paypal, does this make any difference?
I’m not sure I want to change my PayPal profile to John Quilter-PayPal donor if this appears on all my PayPal transactions which are many throughout the year and are not all donations. Sorry if this seems to be getting way to complex.

Not your PayPal profile, your Jag-lovers profile. That way other members on Jag-lovers will know you donated.

I’ll look into if we can add once-a-year payments to Patreon. Watch this space.

1 Like

Gunnar, OK, I just donated $100 as a yearly donation via PayPal. You can change my profile to John Quilter-PayPal donor. Thanks.

Done! And thank you so much for your generous support!

Wouldn’t that be
"John Quilter-PayPal “Most Excellent!”

Gunnar

This has set me to wondering. Can you remove my P?

Thank you for supporting Jag-lovers!

It would just come back overnight. As mentioned above, the integration between Patreon and our forum
Is fully automatic.

If I may ask, why do you want it gone?

Hahaha! This monthly “subscription,” as it’s called, is now ubiquitous among charities, streaming (and other) services, various Amazon products etc., not to mention magazines. One signs up for automatic debit of a specified amount for each subscription in perpetuity, rather than discrete individual voluntary payments.

What’s funny is there are now subscriptions available, like “Rocket Money,” that allow you to find and cancel other subscriptions that you have accumulated and may have forgotten about.

For good reason: it allows us to plan ahead and to ensure we can pay our bills every month.

Back when we used to rely on one-time donations, and on people to remembering to do it again a year later, we sometimes had months where we couldn’t pay our bills. Unfortunately our expenses don’t come once a year, they’re all monthly.

2 Likes

Is theirs a monthly subscription fee :rofl:?

1 Like

Just a middle class anxiety about appearing to be looking for credit for doing something that is just decent.