Door hinge bushing

guys … the driver’s door has a problem, the hinge bush has disintegrated which makes the opening soft … do I have to change it entirely or can something be adapted?

It’s this

Max …

Well that’s a new one, haven’t heard of that problem before.

Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 12.53.01 PM

I just went out and looked at my hinge and it appears that the piece that your red arrow is pointing to is a fixed pin that the door latch (green arrow) rides on to hold the door open in 2 positions.

The actual hinge that the door pivots on is shown in blue.

Can you explain a little better what your problem is and why you think it’s a bad bushing. The spring that is shown pushes on the latch and that is what determines how hard it is to move the door.

The arm that is sprung bears on a roller, slightly above where the red arrow is pointing. If you enlarge the photo you can see that this roller is very worn and is now loose on the pin. This looks like severe lack of lubrication.
I have been contemplating fixing a similar problem on the driver’s door of my car, and I have a replacement hinge assembly, however access requires removal of the fender and many parts on the front of the car, so I have opted to leave it for now.

That same ‘roller bush’ split into two pieces and fell off on my old Sovereign causing the door to make a horrible cracking type noise when opening or closing the door.
The part was unavailable at the time ( this was over 12 years ago). I replaced the ‘roller bush’ with a steel olive I had in my junk box of old nuts and bolts. The internal diameter was the same but the outer shape was slightly larger, I used a lever to force the catch away so I could slide the new bush over the pin, once it was greased the door opened and closed quietly again, that ‘repair’ was still working fine until I sold the car about two years later.

1 Like

A close up view of the roller on my replacement hinge.

If there’s no ‘lift’ in your door indicating a worn hinge pin, why not just swap the roller over, you can do it quite easily without removing or dismantling anything else.

That’s what I’ve got, lift. The roller is fine. I only made the observation because I was familiar with the construction of the hinge.