Door latch assembly

Hi
Looking for diagrams etc for front door latch assembly, ie where rods go etc for xj 40 1988 model sovereign.
Thank you
Pegleg.

Hi,
If you search using your model and year in the Classic Car parts section of the JDHT website you might find the diagram useful. I’ve never searched for door latch parts myself, but I’ve found the exploded diagrams they use very helpful in the past for other jobs.

Thanks Casso
How do I access the site? do Have to log in or register ?
Thanks Pegleg

Does this help?

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/jaguar-xj6-parts/body-closures-and-sealing/door-handles-and-locks/door-latch-assembly-front-rear

I don’t know why I never thought of just pasting you a link like Bryan has done !

Just for the future, you don’t have to register or log in to the JDHT site to view the parts lists.
I use it mainly for identifying correct part numbers and looking at exploded views. I find the parts can be expensive compared to other sources for a similar part, and the postage and packing is very expensive.
I hope your door lock assembly goes well.

Thank you
Any suggestion as to how to get the door handle into the door?
When I put the handle in I have to put the complete handle into the door and then manoeuvre the handle back out, then I have to fight to keep the seal in place as there is not much room between the handle and the door itself. Then the rods inside have to be then manoeuvred from inside the door.
Very frustrating.
Thank you
Pegleg.

Just ran through my notes …this is something I cut and pasted from the forum archive several years ago, unfortunately didn’t make a note of the orig poster :slightly_frowning_face: but maybe it can help?

move the clear plastic sheet out of the way in order to examine the lock mechanism. Pull the outside door handle up while looking at the mechanism and you’ll see a rod that runs from the handle to a white plastic assembly near the latch mechanism. There will be threads on the bottom of the rod.

Check out the white plastic part that the threaded lower part of the rod “screws” into. You’ll notice a second plastic square part that slides out of the plastic part the rod is attached to. If the door were closed it would be oriented towards the front of the car.

There is a little latch that can be depressed (Kind of like on an electrical connector) and the “square” can be wiggled out. This is a kind of “collar” that will allow the threaded rod to be adjusted without turning it.

After some fidgeting you should be able to get the door handle adjusted so it functions properly. Once the rod “length” is established the square part can be pressed into place and “lock” around the threaded rod.