Door latch covers - early Series 1 XJ6

I need to obtain both front door latch cover plates for an early Series 1 XJ6. These driver and passenger side covers for the early Series 1 do NOT seem to be available any longer from any of my normal Parts Suppliers in the UK!!!

There is also some confusion as to what the Jaguar Part numbers specifically are for these, and different people seem to call them different names.

This pictures show what I am after for the actual plates (although both left and right sides needed):

These are the door locks they fit over:

And these are the pillar striker plates to engage with:
Door striker plates BD31855 & BD31856

Whilst later Series 1 and the other Series 2 and 3 door parts do seem to be available from suppliers, please let me know if there are any of these early Series 1 door plates anywhere out there (new “old stock”, reproduction after market, or old ones from bygone cars).

Certainly available. Go to a banger racing place and ask around for early S1 parts?

Some cars have similar latches. Rover P6 maybe, although the striker plate itself is not identical.
Edit - Looks like it won’t work but you get the idea.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224564160453

Been around scrap and junk yards as well as various club meetings and Spares Days - no joy for the last 9 months of searching!!! Also tried ones from Rover, MG, Triumph and even Daimlar, but all different sizes and shapes and don’t fit unfortunately, and reworking to create a good fit in the workshop has not been successful. So it’s down I think to finding correct Jaguar XK6 early Series 1 plates. The search continues.

Oh dear good luck David!
I’ll keep it in mind. 2 early front.

Perhaps someone on the Forum will know - why were these cover plates only on the very early Series 1 XJ6 and then soon replaced in later Series 1’s by a different design? Were these initial cover plates “left overs” from a previous Jaguar car production or from any other UK car manufacturer of the day? Seems strange why they appear only on so few XJ6’s early on, and perhaps why none of the usual Parts Suppliers seem to have them (no demand perhaps on sales!!!)

BL decided their disc lock type was superior and probably cheaper in some way so they were introduced, the XJ was designed before the takeovers happened and pretty much everything went downhill. The disc lock type came up later and they used what was available.

Took a while though:

LHD started at 50000. Many thousand cars got the first style!

I’ve got a pair.

Private mail me if you like,

Rob

Thanks Rob - private message sent to you. :+1: