Door Locks Gone Wild

O.K., I’ve had this issue before with Superblue some time back (on and off), but never to this extent before. :roll_eyes: Door locks suddenly locking on me (note they never seem to UNlock in similar fashion) while driving, when going into reverse, when turning the radio on, etc. The other day it was like Superblue was bound and determined to not let me out of her – I couldn’t get her lock flap to release position or the inner or outer handles to operate. If I pushed the fob button she would only go into some kind of fast cycle/loop open-close-open-close, etc. mode. :open_mouth: I finally just had to time it to pull the inside handle quickly enough at just the right moment, while she was in one of the “open” modes, in order to release the lock. :angry:

I think someone posted before back when Superblue first started acting up with her door locks to just remove the door lock module (inside the “A” pillar base on the passenger side) and that would solve the problem (although it meant manually locking both doors, when desired). :triumph: Not long after that post though, her door locks resumed operating normally, so I never did do it. :crazy_face:

I guess now though I have no choice but to remove the module. :thinking: Just wanted to be sure that will take care of the problem before diving into the task. :confused: Also, I note there is some kind of warning label on the module about keeping it upright at all times. What is that all about? :confused: Is it like some kind of nitro booby-trapped bomb that will detonate if I don’t? :bomb: :laughing:

??? Don’t all answer at once … :frowning_face:

Just a guess but does the box ‘sense’ if the car has overturned or gone on it’s side etc and then auto unlocks the doors, so it’s vital it’s mounted upright.

It might be a different system but whenever I get the locking/ unlocking cycling like you describe on my XJ40 it’s usually a sticky micro switch in the door lock mechanism, most times a good squirt of WD 40 clears it.

I might give that a go. How do you get the WD40 in there and what area of the latches do you hit with it? :confused: btw, I thought it interesting that apparently the trouble resurfaced after I took on a passenger about a week or so ago. I wonder if her opening/closing the door somehow set it off … ? :confused:

On my XJ40 the micro switches are located within the latching mechanism inside the door. You might find an exploded view on the Classic Jaguar Parts website to see if the design is similar on an XJS. There’s two in there. I think one is for sensing ‘door locked / unlocked’ and the other one is the ‘door ajar’ switch that illuminates the interior lights and the dash light warning.
I spray mine through the latching mechanism while operating the lock button up and down.

You mean the latching mechanism on the edge of the door? :confused:

Yes on my XJ40 the micro switches are inside that latching mechanism on the door edge. It’s a pain to remove the unit from the door, the glass and frame have to be moved out of the way along with disconnecting all the rods etc inside so I just drench it from the outside with the WD 40.

Well, BION, I went out to Superblue today … drove her around all day, and not a SINGLE issue with the door locking system. :open_mouth: I had originally wondered if the hot temps of late might have had something to do with the crazy behavior, but we were just as hot here today as we have been for over a week now. :sun_with_face: yet another one of those Unsolved Jag Mysteries … :alien: