Door locks how to

Indeed !!!
Never the less, I have done it a few times.
By looking the key pattern you can guesstimate, the bigger the indent on the key the more offset the wafer hole, and once you put them on you will see better witch one goes were. It didn’t take me that long.

But if, lets say, you have 10 wafers to choose from then you have 3.628.800 possibilities!

Best,
Aristides

You’ll probably find that there only four different wafers, it would only take ten minutes to arrange them in the correct position.

One of the interesting aspects of Jag-Lovers for me is that for any problem “there’s more than one way to skin a cat” (pun intended). :wink:
I prefer to be precise and structured in my approach to solving problems, so when faced with rekeying a bunch of different locks (thanks to the Prior Owners) years ago in my 1957 MK VIII (it has door locks, 2 gas cap locks, 2 gas cap locks, a cubby, and an ignition lock) I inspected and measured the lock wafers to understand the way the locks worked, determined which key/lock I wanted to use as the master, disassembled the locks in the car as well as some broken spare locks that I bought on eBay for the wafers, and then replaced the wafers one by one to get them to all to work with the same key (except for the ignition which I intentionally did not change).
I suppose I could have also used a trial and error method with the wafers, but for me I don’t think that would have been as satisfying although it certainly would have worked.

Paul

With how many locks and how many wafers I don’t even know how to calculate how many possible combinations there would be!
The magnitude of this operation would be way beyond a trial and error approach…

Aristides

Aristides,
The problem that I was facing with my 1957 MK VIII was much larger than Greg’s single lock. I had 7 locks most of them using different keys with many different wafers and wafer combinations. I knew that trial and error would not work so I removed and disassembled each lock from the car, and also the broken spare ones that I purchased on eBay for the wafers, and carefully measured the wafers to figure what I had and what I needed. The two gas cap locks used the same key so I started with that lock, disassembled one of them to discover the wafer arrangement and then rekeyed the rest accordingly.

Greg’s problem was much smaller with only one lock. So trial and error would also work as pointed out by others who have successfully done so.

Paul

My main reasons to use the caliper tool and not by trial and error are:

1. My big clumsy fingers would easily loose pieces if I handled them too much. I already lost a spring just touching it!

2. I’ve never used a caliper before, so am looking forward to a new tool! :slight_smile:

Greg,
My younger brother and I are having a contest we call “He who dies with the most tools wins”. I am pretty sure I am winning. :wink:

Paul

Wow. This is akin to the misunderstanding people have with how evolution works. Plug all the wafers in at random, stick a key in, see which ones are correct. Move the others. There are what, six wafers? Without even putting any thought into which one needs to move where, strictly trial-and-error would probably get the job done in ten minutes.

One lock is indeed a peace of cake Kirbert, and I have done it exactly as you describe.
What we were talking about though was to match seven different locks with one key, and this would not be that an easy feat.

There is a debate on evolution, if it works exclusively by trial and error or if there is some inherit intelligence, and even memory, on DNA.
Trial and error does the work fine, but it requires a very very long time.

Best,
Aristides

This being the first time I’ve ever disassembled a lock, and still not even sure how it works, I’ll err on the side of measuring each wedge. Call me less evolved, or just not as knowledgeable as you.

Reminds me of the Towers of Hanoi. Google it. Or, go to a forum where computer geeks hang out and describe the problem.

Ok, I measured, I could have done it with my naked eye. I only have three different wafers out of six.
But it was fun taking measurements with my new caliper. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Take it to a locksmith…save the headache of butterfingers

Scrimbo,
I tell my wife and others all the time that the stories in the challenges of fixing things myself is what makes my Jaguar hobby enjoyable to me. I appreciate that not everyone sees thing that way.

There isn’t much of a story to tell in “I took the lock apart, dropped the pieces, lost some of them, and then had to take the lock to a locksmith to get it fixed”. :wink:

Paul

4 Likes

Very true. A week ago, I didn’t have a clue how the lock worked, what was a wafer and it’s purpose, and why there were springs involved.

Now I totally get it, have taken one apart and got it working again (and even smoother than before), and will get the next one actually working this weekend for only a bit of my time.

Greg,
And you will own the complete bragging rights to the stories you can tell about how you fixed your lock yourself. Feel free to exaggerate any part of the story as you wish. I certainly do. :wink:

Paul

2 Likes

Ha ha haaah…and likely you’ll have some skin missing or a bruise or two that can be added to the tale for effect!!!

i ended up having to do a little bit filing on the top of the wedges, but now the key works nice and smooth! :slight_smile:

I guess 30 years of wear made the key not fit ‘perfectly’, or else I have a copy of a copy of a copy of the original key, and it’s a tiny bit off?

Greg,
Congratulaions on your successful door lock work!
I really enjoy taking things apart, figuring out how they work, cleaning up the decades of grime, and then putting them back together again so that they work better than they did when I started. It is a very rewarding part of my Jaguar hobby.

Paul

1 Like