Door striker alignment tip

Aligning the pin on door with the striker slot is difficult because the point of contact cannot be seen. If the pin is hitting the striker it can and does wear down over time. I put a strip of masking tape on the lower lip of the striker slot and was able to see from the damages tape where the pin was hitting. Worked well and was simple…replace tape every attempt…

That is a good tip: I would set it by simply watching/ feeling the motion of the door, as it just contacted that pin.

I think @Ray_Livingston made nice replacement SS pins, at one time.

Another tip: Routine maintenance. My driver’s door flew open when I took a moderately aggressive right turn. That led to the discovery that even if the door seemed latched, a slight push would pop it open.
I fiddled & fiddled with it, reading the manual over and over trying to adjust it. I even bought a hardware store dead bolt, but fortunately never actually screwed it to the door. I duck taped it shut (leopard print). I ended up running my seat belt through the armrest for the rest of the trip.
Eventually, I noticed the little hole on top of the latch that said “OIL”.

2 Likes

One part that often seems to be missing on these cars is a kind of barbed mesh screen which bolts behind the guide on the b-post. I was plagued with alignment problems that kept occurring no matter how tight I’d make the mounting screws. John Farrell finally told me about this part and sent me a couple and I never had the issue again. The door strikes stay put once set.

Exactly Erica. I had forgotten about that. BD.19279 Shakeproof Shim, under Strikers.

is that still available?

SNG has them for $19.52; bd19297